Hunting Gear

• When @Joe-Hell asked in a previous post about what gear I was using because of his years in the archery business it got me thinking. What if we did a subject line in regards to that. Although it’s indirectly related the end result is the same. Processing.

I’m guessing the majority of us home processors once or still do hunt.

Not looking to compare equipment, but just what we use to get to that final stage. Everyone has some gear they like and trust and are comfortable with.

Perhaps even share a memory from one of those hunts.

My three sons (Fred McMurray?) are using Hoyt compounds. I’m using a crossbow these days. Barnett Raptor and Rage broadheads. Can’t pull a compound anymore.

First ever bow was a shorter, brush style recurve. Then, Fred Bear came along. Still have it.

• Power User

@PapaSop I like it! My brand vs. your brand can get a little heated (ie: ArcheryTalk) but members of this forum seem a bit more level headed in that regard.

I would often get asked the question of “why should I buy your bow over the competition?” My answer was always the same. “Shoot as many brands and models as you can. What feels right in your hands won’t be the same as mine. Don’t get hung up on speed. Focus on comfort and consistency.”

I built, repaired and worked on tens of thousands of bows. Rarely did I find something that wouldn’t hit the bullseye.

Truth be told…all modern compounds are better than they were 10, 20 or 30 years ago. You don’t need to drop thousands on gear to get a good piece of equipment…they all perform. I apply the same mentality to guitars. Play as many as you can and you will eventually find “the one.”

• Walton's Employee

@PapaSop I’d love that, I think the more we do about hunting the better off we will all be. Share tips, success stories, failures, etc,. We acutally used to have a Hunting category but it got so little attention that we cut it but as we continue to grow it might have a use. If enough people think that they would actually use it then maybe we bring it back?

Another option would be to simply create a large topic similar to “What did eveyone cook” and work off that.

What are thoughts?

• @Jonathon
    Both are great options. I guess we’ll see what others are saying.

• I use my .243 caliber bow…hehehe! Savage Trophy Hunter loaded with 85gr. gameking handloads.

Gave up bow hunting years ago. Don’t have time for it and can’t pull back a bow very well anymore without hurting. If I ever go back to it I’ll get a crossbow.

• Here’s the old Fred Bear. Heavy, clunky and noisy. Mid 70s model. Loved it. Many a day lugging that thing around.

IMG_20191018_105654.jpg

• Power User

@PapaSop I’ve seen that one before! At Martin I would guestimate that we had the single largest collection of of compounds and traditional bows from every manufacturer. You could point to any one of them and Mr. Martin could tell you how it came to be. Gail Martin (the owner) got his start fletching arrows for Fred Bear and were good friends.

• @PapaSop I use a Hoyt Nitrum compound bow and a Ten Point Crossbow. All depends on the area and stand what bow I use. And use my Winchester Black Shadow 12 GA slug gun for gun week in Ohio.

• I currently use a Center Point crossbow, had to sell my old bow as I just couldn’t pull it back anymore. During gun season I use my trusty old .270. I shot a doe recently with the gun during a short weekend Pre Rut gun season. Back to the crossbow for the rest of the season.

• @AdamCA
    Nice job on the pre rut. Speaking of trusty old… Marlin 30-30 I’ve had for forty years during gun season. Comfort thing. Taken a lot of deer.

• @PapaSop Thank you sir! The best part of this Hunting season is my youngest daughter has decided that she wants to hunt this year, she has gone with me before but we never saw anything. So far this year we saw an absolute GIANT mature buck our first morning sit and she has decided that a little cold is worth it if we can get him.

• @AdamCA
    That’s great. Good for her. And good for you for getting her into this. That’s what it’s all about.

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon well since I haven’t seen the video drop, here’s some pizza dough for Pizza week!
    20200117_202718.jpg

read more
  • @Retired-RailRoader they look tasty good job

read more
  • R

C7321CCD-97F4-4BC4-834B-3A60809D7EE3.jpeg 516A4C7B-ACCE-44A5-8110-BFC863B3994E.jpeg B72BD394-6FDB-4EAB-8F0A-CDEF436AC55A.jpeg 952E13F5-CEE5-4F5B-8564-AEEDBCA14159.jpeg
    I finally got around to try my hand at chicken sausage. I used Walton’s Supreme Pizza Bratwurst Seasoning with their hi temp mozzarella cheese. I ground up 3.5lbs of chicken thighs with some of the skin through a 4.5mm plate. Once the chicken was ground I added the Supreme Pizza Bratwurst Seasoning per Walton’s conversation chart. Instead of water I used low sodium chicken broth. With everything mixed I then mixed in the 7oz. of the hi temp cheese. I stuffed them into 24-26 sheep casings. Grilled a few up for dinner and the rest will be going in the freezer. Two things I will do a little different next time. I’ll reduce the amount of cheese as the cheese seemed to be the predominant flavor. I will also reduce the amount of liquid as it seems chicken needs less then pork or beef as the slurry was a little loose.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

3 users active right now (0 members and 3 guests).
pearyrobert89, kucharski, Todd Phillips

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 11.2k posts in 1.7k topics.
We currently have 7.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, systemactivation.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.