Summer Sausage-Dry and hard

• We have recently made two different batches of summer sausage. Both were deer meat with 20% beef fat and some were made with 10% high temp cheese. Stuffed into 12" callogen casings. Cooked on our pellet grill starting out on the “smoke” setting (75-100), then 180, then 225 to internal temp of 160.

1st batch was 8 lbs. Took the anticipated time to cook base on our research, they were not put in an ice bath, and were not frozen. All looked great immediately but 1 of the sticks turned hard over the next week.

2nd batch was 18 lbs. This batch took longer to cook. They did have an ice bath. Most were frozen and all of them are hard and dry upon thaw.

Any suggestions on what we need to adjust would be greatly appreciated.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

lindsey.1214 Hard to say what the issue could have been. Did you use a binder? What kind? What seasoning did you use?

Out of the 8 lb batch how were they stored?

Also, even though I dont know if this is your issue a jump from 100 to 180 might be responsible for the longer than expected cook as you could have had case hardening. That is where the outside of the sausage cooks too quickly and the heat cant be transfered into the middle efficiently. I’d recommend going with the smoke schedule here https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/762/cured-sausage-107-basics-for-making-summer-sausage

A few other tips are make sure you get good protein extraction as this prevents the meat from “fatting out” and being dry and hard. So mix, mix mix mix until it is very sticky. Also, I’d recommend pork fat over beef fat, it is creamier and it has less of a noticable taste.

• Regular Contributors

What Diameter casing are you using, it takes me about 6 hours to get my 43 mm cased summer sausage to 156 degrees and about 10-12 hours to get 73mm cased sausage to 156 degrees. I use 5lb beef fat and 20 lb game meat with seasonings , cure, 2 quarts water and 1 lb binder and have had excellent results. I grind the meat 3/8" then switch to 1/8 or 3/16 " plate grind the fat and mix it thoroughly with meat then regrind them together with small plate then add all other ingredents and thoroughly mix them together for protein extraction and stuff in casings . My smoke/temp schedule is as follows 1 hour 150deg, 1 hour 140 degree, 2 hours 155 degrees with smoke, 1 hour 165 degrees with smoke, and then finish at 180 till done with smoke. I really think having a convection fan in your smoker helps keep from having hot spots that shrink up bottoms of casings.

Dave

• Jonathon We are not using a binder. Until you mentioned it, I really had not thought about it but it seems it would help.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (5 members and 12 guests).
kathy cross, alanburkholder, jsinningvjr, PapaSop, twilliams, brian topp, SamHale

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 15.7k posts in 2.0k topics.
We currently have 8.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jsinningvjr.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.