Hot Dogs

• I am new to making hot dogs and have a few questions. I watched the video and saw you used superbind. I have carrot fiber currently and was wondering if that would work instead? Next, do you think I could smoke the cellulose cases for an hour then sous vide for the rest of the time until the correct temp? Would that change the texture of the product? Finally you used sodium erythorbate, is this step necessary since it is not done when making things like hot links? Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate the help.

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

ffmedicman If you seach back for hot dog you’ll see some good examples. I use walton’s hot dog and chili dog spice. I smoke for 2ish hours then into water batch (turkey fryer) at 170F until done. I use the cellulose and they do take smoke but they are a pain to peel them off. We use scissors to to snip then quick slit down the dog and they pop right out. I don’t use anything but 50/50 venison/pork and the waltons spice mix. Don’t bother trying to make this stuff up on your own I can’t tell you how much wasted time and product we experimented with before I found Waltons mixes. BTW you have to try the chili dog!!!

• Parksider Did you leave the meat mixture in the fridge over for the cure to work or just straight into the casings? Thanks for all your help. I am going to use the chili dog spice so I’m glad you said it was good!

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

ffmedicman
    Actually gonna be trying the hot dogs myself for the first time once hunting is done. I would agree with Parksider about Walton’s seasonings. Very good. And yes the chili dog will be in my next order.

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

ffmedicman I stuffed right away. We get through the cooking process is less than 4 hours so I’m fine not worrying about the cure.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

ffmedicman If you aren’t going to use a cure accelerator and you want to hold it overnight I would highly suggest you stuff and then hold the meat overnight in the casing. If you hold it first and then try to stuff it is going to be very hard as the salt in the seasoning will start to solubilize the proteins in the meat and things will get set up on you and might even damage your stuffer.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

16 users active right now (2 members and 14 guests).
SamHale, Jonathon, Leftside34

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 15.7k posts in 2.0k topics.
We currently have 8.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, SamHale.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.