best deer sausage seasoning

• who has used seasoning in deer sausage and what seems to give it the best flavor; i lean to just a little spicy but not too hot. also what is best casing?

• ravery y

• Power User

ravery when making deer sausage you will need the proper amt. of pork and fat ,collagen casings are easy to work with and as far as flavor it is a matter of personal preference all waltons seasonings I have used are good just look up conversion charts in the search for the amt. you are using.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

ravery Fresh or cured sausage? Snack Sticks almost anything will go pretty good with deer.

Fresh:
    Htach Green Chiil
    Supreme Pizza
    Habanero Mango

Cured:
    Cajun
    Chili Dogs
    Landjaeger(personal favorite)

Snack Stick:
    Willies
    Dill Pickle (as long as you like dill pickle flavor)
    BBQ Habanero

For casings, I would go with Fresh or Cured collagen if you are making larger diameter (like a bratwurst) and Smoked collagen if you are making snack sticks.

Hope it helped!

• I dont like adding fat or pork trim to my venison sausage like i do to my bambi dogs. I use butcher and packer supply ring bologna seasoning and 100% venison. Use a good binder. I like 1.5" x 12" fiber casings since they cook faster and fit better on a cracker. Add some high temp cheese and u have an awesome bambi snack.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors

That is very subjective, but what I’ve made with Venison is the Italian sausage, 3 different breakfast sausages (Holly Reg, 1504 and W110), Cotto Salami and Jalapeno summer sausage and I think I made the Roasted Garlic as well but can’t remember for sure. What I plan on making when I get around to processing the meat from the latest deer is the Hatch green chili bratwurst, W 110 breakfast sausage and probably the regular Salami and also Willie’s snack stick. I also add between 25-30 % Pork fat if my butcher has it available, if not then I do a 50-50 mix of Venison/Pork shoulder and it comes out great. If I am making a Fresh sausage I usually lower the fat content, but once again if I have to use Pork shoulder I do a 50-50 mix.

• Let me clarify. I add pork fat for everything except the trail bologna i spoke of above. Breakfast sausage and brat type sausage require plenty of creamy pork goodness.

• hello, new to the forum, I have question. I am making venison summer sausage. I purchased today some Habenaro BBq season , casings, cheese and encapsulated citric acid. My question is do I use the encapsulated citric acid along with the cure packet that comes with the seasoning, or do I just use the citric acid.
    Thanks for your helo

• Team Blue Regular Contributors

smoker63 Use the citric acid if you want a tang flavor…but you need to use the cure when making summer… if you use the citric you can go right into the smoker if you only use the cure you’ll need to stuff your casings then hold overnight for the cure to work…in my opinion I wouldn’t use citric with the Hab bbq…I think that seasoning is great all by itself probably my fav for snack sticks…haven’t tried it for summer yet and not quite sure how it’ll taste with cheese…I’m sure someone will chime in if they’ve used cheese with it…hope everything makes sense

• Thank you I appreciate it!

• Team Blue

I use the recipe from http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/venison-sausage-recipes.html and I like Walton’s 32mm tubed natural casings. These casings are easy to use and bite easier than the collagen.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
Andrew

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 15.6k posts in 2.0k topics.
We currently have 8.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Daniel Smith.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.