What is the difference in Sweeter than Sweet Cure and Insta cure #1?

• New to the sausage making game. I see all these different cures, if I’m wanting to try my hand at summer sausage can I use the Sweeter than Sweet cure? Do all cures serve the same purpose?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

@WildWest No, the Sweeter than Sweet is for Hams and Bacon and a few other items. For making summer sausage/snack sticks / other cured sausage you should use Sure Cure which will be included with any cured sausage seasoning.

• Team Orange Power User

@Jonathon
    Speaking of cures. Stopped in awhile back to check in on the old people, aka my parents. Mom was excited to show me a sausage recipe she found in some family archives. It called for level teaspoon of saltpeter dissolved in water. Would love to make this for her. Could I substitute Sure Cure for this? Recipe is for a fifty pound batch but would scale that back. I should take a pic of it and post. Rather interesting.

Saltpeter had nitrites and nitrates in it, so it would give you some instant curing power and then the nitrates would slowly break down into nitrites and give you long-lasting curing power.

• Team Orange Power User

@Jonathon
    So would Sure Cure work? Also have no idea how they finished this. She vaguely remembers her uncle having a smoke house at his farm. Only thing she really remembers is that it hung in rings in an upstairs room of the farm house over the winter.

• Team Orange Power User

@PapaSop

Here’s a pic of the recipe. What I thought was interesting was the fact they had pre soaked the onion and garlic in warm water before adding adding to the meat. Must have made for a helluva flavor profile.

IMG_20191105_150800.jpg

• Team Orange Power User

@PapaSop
    Also, can’t imagine using that much salt… Wow.

• Power User

@PapaSop if your grandparents were hanging these like hams I wonder if that 1 lb. of salt is used for a preseritive and rubbed on the outside before hanging?

• Team Orange Power User

@craigrice
    Yeah, this is a tough one. Will probably never know the answer. All of mom’s older siblings have passed on. I still might do a small batch of this and do it as a summer sausage. Just curious about the taste. Thanks.

• Team Blue

@Jonathon since this has popped up I was going to brine a pork butt and use one of these cures in the Hope’s to smoke it until about 185 or 190 and have it turn out a little more on the “hammy” side of things similar to some of the hogs that we have experienced. Will the sweeter than sweet cure be a good candidate for this?

@erich52 Is your thought for pulled pork or are you wanting to slice it like ham? If you want to slice it you are going to run into some problems but if you are looking for a more ham like pulled pork then this will work, and I think it will work quite well to be honest! If you decide to do this, please let me know the results as I am interested in this!

@PapaSop Sure cure will work if you are wanting to do the thermal processing all in one go as that will keep it safe through the smoking process. Since they used salt-peter I am going to guess (and while it’s a good one it is a total guess) that they cold smoked and dry-cured this product. I might be wrong but that’s my first thought from looking at the ingredients. If you wanted to give this a try, and I hope you do, then I would recommend cooking it as we recommend a cured sausage, so follow this smoke schedule (https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/761/cured-sausage-108-basics-for-making-smoked-sausage)

I also think what @craigrice said makes sense about it being an outside rub but also, maybe not. They are talking about a 50 lb meat block, so 1 lb of salt would be 2% of the total weight of that meat block which is on the high end if this was a fresh sausage but in a cured sausage (which this is) it can go as high as 3% without any real problems.

• Team Blue

@Jonathon I am probably looking for mor of a chopped outcome out of it. Not quite pulled but close. I will post some pics/ updates on the outcome.

• Team Orange Power User

@Jonathon
    Thanks. Will take a look at that.

• Team Orange Power User

Back to that old sausage recipe. Found out it’s not my grandfather’s but belonged to his brother Wes. So now it’s called “Wes’s Sausage”. I asked mom how she remembered the texture. She thought somewhere between a bologna and a brat… Hmm. She also spoke with a brother that said Wes definitely had a smoker and they used a beef casing. Time to grind.

Broke the seasoning down to a 5lb batch. Aside from the salt and sugar it didn’t look like a lot. But once mixed together and the aroma of the onion and garlic soaking in warm water totally filled the kitchen.

Next day I ground and stuffed the meat. Didn’t have any beef middles or rounds but had some hog casing about brat size. Did a couple pounds in that because she remembered the natural casing and the rest in a fibrous casing. Hand mixed this only to the point of starting to get sticky. Wanted this a bit looser. Bagged and left sit over night.

Next morning took out to warm up and dry out in the kitchen. To the smoker we go. Used my regular smoking schedule which is nearly identical to Walton’s. 6 1/2 hours later… Done. Ice bathed, hung for 3hrs in the garage and back to the fridge overnight.

![0_1574288904287_IMG_20191116_150015.jpg](Uploading 100%) IMG_20191117_125917.jpg IMG_20191117_160850.jpg

This was absolutely amazing. A semi soft texture and the taste is wonderful. Mom took a piece and said OMG. Greatest compliment I’ve ever received.

IMG_20191119_163913.jpg IMG_20191119_164300.jpg

Wish I could send you all a sample. This is a keeper.
    Thanks Uncle Wes. 😊

• Team Blue

@Jonathon My cures are scheduled to show up tomorrow. I ordered the Turkey cure and the sweeter than sweet cure. I will be injecting and brining a Boston Butt and a Turkey next week for the smoker and holiday feast. Pics will follow on how the cured shoulder turns out.

@PapaSop That looks AWESOME! Did you notice a difference between the natural hog and the fibrous casings?

• Team Orange Power User

@PapaSop That’s a great family nugget she found! I can see using that much salt. We use about 6oz/20# batch and it’s fine so the ratio is very close. The pepper seems light, typically pepper is used at a 50% of salt ratio.
    If you have a local pharmacy they will order you a small bottle of salt peter. It has to be ground shipped so it may take a few days and I had to promise the pharmacist that I wasn’t using it to make gun powder!! She’s great!

• Team Orange Power User

@Jonathon
    Yes. Absolutely. Everyone seemed to prefer the fibrous casing. I’m definitely doing this again, perhaps using venison instead of beef. The fibrous was obviously stuffed tighter. Will go for full extraction with a longer mix on the next one.

@Parksider
    Thought it would be salty but not at all. I agree on the pepper. The cloves and allspice really stood out in this. I’ve never added sugar or cinnamon to a sausage before but this all worked very well together. Again, the onion and garlic water was wonderful.

Never hurts to have a good pharmacist.😁

• Regular Contributors

@PapaSop
    I would just use 2 ounces of regular tinted curing salt, as my regular tried and true sausage recipe calls for one ounce for 25 lbs. and forget about the salt Peter and follow the rest of the directions and I think you will be fine and never taste the difference

Dave

• Regular Contributors

@PapaSop

I think that 1 ounce of regular tinted curing salt per 25 lbs of meat would be the proper substitute for the salt Peter and I don’t think you would ever tell the difference in taste so for 50 lb batch 2 oz curing salt.

Dave

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

15 users active right now (3 members and 12 guests).
kathy cross, PapaSop, wvhunter1965, pepper, Tex_77, IndianaJohn, Ben W, Joe Hell, Robert D Palmer, NDKoze, docroc, craigrice, Tim71, calldoctoday, Jcain, Tom, dennisp1964

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 13.8k posts in 1.9k topics.
We currently have 8.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Swamp Thing.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.