Smoking times with different size casings

• Small timer here but enjoy reading and learning. Thanks to everyone!

In the past With my summer sausage I’ve used the fibrous mahogany 2-1/2x20 casing. This year for a convenience factor I’m planning on using a 2x12 casing Which is about a 1 lb size. In the drying, smoking segment I figured to use the same temps for the same length of time. Starting them and increasing them as in the summer sausage video. The only difference being that my 160° internal temp will be reached in less time so my product will be finished sooner, or should I adjust the initial drying time and smoking time due to my much smaller casings.

• Walton's Employee

@denny66 No adjustments necessary, with a smaller diameter casing one of the benefits is that you will be done more quickly as there is less distance for the heat to have to pass through, so you “should” be done with your smoke schedule faster. Let me know if I misunderstood?

Recent Posts

• @craigrice That’s a good idea! Kids these days are technology advanced!

read more
  • C

@Joe-Hell one of my grand daughters helped me upload photos just wanted to share pics to show I am not all talk aka (fos)

read more
  • C

@Joe-Hell I need to do some more this was a test and it worked out good I will being more for xmass. give away

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

31 users active right now (1 members and 30 guests).
Brian S, Hwygreg, butchie, knifemaker3, hotkarl

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 8.9k posts in 1.5k topics.
We currently have 6.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, ceetsreno.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.