Cold Water Bath or Shower for Cured Sausages

• Admin

WaltonsTV: Cold Water Bath or Shower

Meat Hacks: Cold Water Bath or Shower for Cured Sausages

Watch the full video below, read the highlights here, and then post your comments or questions below.

Benefits of a Cold Water Bath or Shower for Cured Sausages

After you get done cooking any type of cured meat product you want to cool it down as quickly as possible. The cooling cycle is going to help out with 3 different things. First, the cooling cycle helps set the casing to the product and keeps the meat and casings from separately or peeling off. Second, it also helps prevent wrinkling in your sausage casings to make a better looking appearance on the final product. Lastly, the cooling cycle really helps with meat safety and controlling bacteria and microbial growth.

Easiest Way to Do a Cold Water Bath or Shower

1. Shower the product directly in your smokehouse. This isn’t always possible though if your smokehouse is not in a place that is moisture friendly or you cannot reach it with a hose.
    2. Use a meat lug and a kitchen sink. After cooking, put your meat product into a Meat Lug, set the meat lug at an angle in your kitchen sink, and turn on the facet and let the water run over the product, into the meat lug, and then slowly overflow into the sink. Let the water continue to run from the facet over the meat and overflow into the sink for about 10 minutes until the meat products have cooled completely.

So always use a cold water bath or shower to help set the casing to the meat, prevent wrinkling for a better appearance, and practice good meat safety by lowering the temp quickly to limit bacteria and microbial growth.

Shop waltonsinc.com for Meat Lugs

Shop waltonsinc.com for Everything but the Meat!

Recent Posts

• Sounds and looks great. Will be saving this one.👍

read more
  • S

I have made about 5 batches of summer sausage and have followed the videos, I purchased a 20 pound mixer, soak the casings, using the clear casings, stuff the casings, etc. The casings are not sticking to the meat. They look good until I shower them and let them cool, then they become very loose. I am using a cookshack smoker and it only has a quarter size hole in the top to let out moisture. Could the humidity be to high to let the casings adhere to the meat? I am using the temps per the summer sausage video. The sausage tastes fine, just trying to figure why this is happening.
    Thanks

read more
  • T

Thanks im just doing it for home hobby

read more
  • @loadpin dessicants in a vacuum sealed container in the freezer is really not going to do anything at all and would cause more problems. They are made with a cloth material and that material will get saturated with water/fat from the snack sticks and will end up rupturing when removing removing unthawed snack sticks from container. You do not want to use dessicants in that fashion and they really would not do anything for that anyways. If you vacuum seal your snack sticks real tight they should be great to eat without too much change in moisture for a few years. Many years ago i had dessicants and actually did this very thing for R and D and they dont work.
    What really are you going for?

read more
  • @tim-salois It is just an optional additive you do not need to use it but using it is going to increase your water holding capacity. This means it is going to give you a juicier (and better in our mind) product. If you are a commercial processor than you should absolutely be using it to increase your final yield.

Just be sure not to add too much as it can affect the taste if you go above the 2 oz for 25 lb of meat ratio.

read more
  • @jonathon ok thanks

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.