Hanging a deer

• I’ve got a question concerning hanging a deer. I’m hoping someone can settle our discussion.
    If a person kills a deer, does all the Proper field dressing cleaning of the cavity etc then hangs it. It hung for a couple days then we had some very cold nights (20°) and it didn’t warm up much during the day. More than likely the deer froze. Hide was left on the carcass. As that deer thaws is it still good to work up and process.

If I’ve left any needed info out feel free to ask.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors

denny66 I would think it would be, now it’s probably not going to be the easiest to skin. But I’m not certain, I’m from the deep South, never cold enough to hang a deer outside overnight so I don’t have any experience with doing it that way. I’ve got buddies from Northern states and that is what they have done their entire lives and never had an issue with the meat.

• Regular Contributors

denny66 its going to be just fine. Skinning it while frozen is very hard to do but can be done. I would try and get it warmed up somewhere then skin it after its warm. But the meat will be just fine no worries.

• It will be just fine, Normally you would get the hide off as soon as possible so the meat will cool faster. I agree skinning it frozen is twice as hard, i would try to thaw it out just a bit, a very sharp knife will help a little

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

denny66
    I used to let them hang for a few days (temp depending) so I could look at them and show them off. Haven’t done that in years. Take a pic and get that hide off same day. Much easier before they freeze. This time of year in Wi my garage stays around the 38 to 40 degree range. Good for hanging a few days. Warm up the garage with the turkey cooker and get butchering.

As everyone else said, even if gets frozen just let it warm up and you’ll be fine.

• PapaSop We hang deer in South Dakota up to five days before skining. If it is frozen I hang it in my garage at 50° usually a day and a half and it will be thawed enough to skin. Yes it’s more difficult to skin that way, but we don’t lose any meat to shrinkage and drying out. I’m not telling you to do it, I’m just saying that’s what we do.

Gilley
    Sounds good. Haven’t noticed much shrinkage or drying out after two or three days hanging. I have seen a few deer hanging a week or longer around this area. Not sure what the benefit is in that when it’s below freezing.

I did read once about pulling the hide down a bit. Putting a baseball on the outside and wrapping the hide around it and tying with a rope, then attaching to your vehicle[censored]ch and pulling the hide off. Never tried it though. Perhaps it was someone’s to many beers after hunting. :thinking_face:

• Power User

PapaSop when it is a fresh kill you can almost pull the hide off but time taken with a knife and care will always result in a better product for finish

• PapaSop said in Hanging a deer:

Gilley
    Sounds good. Haven’t noticed much shrinkage or drying out after two or three days hanging. I have seen a few deer hanging a week or longer around this area. Not sure what the benefit is in that when it’s below freezing.

I did read once about pulling the hide down a bit. Putting a baseball on the outside and wrapping the hide around it and tying with a rope, then attaching to your vehicle[censored]ch and pulling the hide off. Never tried it though. Perhaps it was someone’s to many beers after hunting. :thinking_face:

I guess things are done differently every where we go. Most around here hang their deer as long as possible. To some that’s only till they break camp. Those who can hang them much longer usually do. We usually will go as long as the weather will reasonably give Us or we get together to get everything put up. Some of my friends who have access to walk in coolers hang their deer 8-10 days. In most cases around here the skin is left on.

More info on why and the benefits are found here.

https://www.uscooler.com/blog/aging-best-deer-meat/

I have witnessed using a golf ball to pull a hide off. No one was drinking and it takes some setting up but it works very well.

https://youtu.be/H43d6fv_sE8

Thanks to all that have responded.

denny66
    Walk in coolers make total sense. Wish that was an option. Thanks for the article and video. Guess it really works.

• Regular Contributors

denny66 In Alaska we always try to hang our meat if the temperature allows, we try and skin it as it allows the meat to cool faster and we cover it with game bags to keep dirt and bugs off and put a tarp canopy over the meat to keep it from getting wet. One thing that you may have never heard of when hunting near salt water is submerging a gutted animal in cold ocean salt water with the hide on as it will readily cool the meat and keep the meat clean. I have had great success with this for up to a week and when you get the animal home, just skin it as usual and butcher then.

Dave

• Regular Contributors

akdave the salt water dont pull all the blood and water log the meat through the chest cavity doing this?

• Regular Contributors

Not at all the hide protects the outside of the meat and the internal membrane of the chest cavity protects the inside, you would not want to quarter a animal and do this, but it works wonderful on a full animal. The inside chest cavity looks like you just gutted it. For us that boat hunt for deer it is a great way to keep our meat cool as our deer season starts in August and the temperature can some times be in the 60-70s. One other thing about hunting around the water, it is a lot easier sometimes to drag a large animal in the water than on the ground and the heat transfer from the water is cooling the meat at the same time.

Dave

• Regular Contributors

akdave that sounds like a pretty good idea. Ive always thought about quartering the animals then putting them in a bag then in water… like a wet age.

• Regular Contributors

I have heard that if the meat is skinned and put in a bag in cool water it will spoil but I have never tried it, I would think that if the cold water is not touching the meat it should not spoil but I don’t know for sure has anyone else tired putting quarters in plastic bags and submerging them without letting the water get to the meat???

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (2 members and 9 guests).
poppaschmuck, tessakathryn, Joe Hell, SamHale, JerkyIsMySalad, Jonathon

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 15.7k posts in 2.0k topics.
We currently have 8.8k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, poppaschmuck.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.