How To Make Homemade Jerky - Recipe

• Admin

How to Make Homemade Jerky

How To Make Homemade Jerky

Learn how to make homemade jerky with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

What Is Jerky?

In a simple definition, jerky is just dried meat. Jerky can be a whole muscle or ground and restructured product. Seasoned strips of meat are cured and dried in an oven, dehydrator, grill, smoker, or smokehouse. Whole muscle is made by slicing a whole cut of meat into thin strips, while restructured jerky is a ground and formed product that is extruded into strips, by something like our All-Around Jerky Maker. Be prepared for a 50-75% loss in the weight of the product once it is completely cooked and dried. Use meats that are extremely lean, with as little of fat as possible. Inside round is Walton’s preferred cut of meat to use, and we recommend slicing against the grain of the meat.

Laying Jerky Strips In Dehydrator

Meat Block

25lb beef inside round (or other whole muscle meat)

Additives

1 package Excalibur Jerky Seasoning
    1oz Sure Cure (packet included with seasoning)
    40oz Water (8oz per 5lb of meat)

Whole Muscle Jerky Process

Mix seasoning and sure cure packet together. Sprinkle seasoning and cure mixture over slices of meat, or drag slices through seasoning mixture. After seasoning and cure is applied, place jerky strips into a poly bag and add just enough water to cover the meat, and help it marinate. Hold the jerky meat strips in the refrigerator overnight or about 12 hours.

Restructured Jerky Process

Mix seasoning and sure cure packet together. If not already using ground meat, grind meat 1 additional time through a 1/8in grinder plate, mix seasoning, cure, and water into meat until evening dispersed. Then, extrude using the All-Around Jerky Maker and Walton’s Sausage Stuffer.

Thermal Processing

Lay seasoned jerky strips on jerky screens or smoke screens and place in smoker, smokehouse, oven, or dehydrator to cook.
    130F for 1 hour (open damper on smoker)
    145F for 2 hours (2/3 closed damper on smoker)
    175F until internal meat temp of 160F

Walton's Homemade How To Make Jerky Recipe

Cooling

Hold at room temp for 1-2 hours before moving to the refrigerator/freezer. After we are totally done with the cooling process, then we will package in vacuum pouches for longer term storage.

Wrap up

It’s easy to get the basics on making homemade jerky, but practice does make perfect. Walton’s has everything you need (except the meat) to make great jerky, plus we have the knowledge to help you perfect your own process.
    If you have any questions or need help in your process, please share your questions or comments below.

Other Notes

If your smoker, smokehouse, dehydrator, or oven cannot reach temperatures as low as 130F, just start as low as possible and slowly increase the temperature over time

Watch WaltonsTV: How To Make Homemade Jerky

Shop waltonsinc.com for Jerky Seasonings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Jerky Making Supplies

Shop waltonsinc.com for Dehydrators

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @carla-edwards Good setup, I like the glass insert to let you monitor without opening. Welcome to the board, always good to get some cold smoking expertise on here!

read more
  • BBQ Smores Video Weekly Blog Post - Weston Multi-Layered Press and BBQ'ing Smores

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Will it BBQ? Smores! - We know that Smores will BBq, it is basically the same process on a grill or smoker as over a fire. However, we wanted to do this for two reasons. First, we wanted to see if you could do large amounts as a dessert at once and still have it taste as good and second, we wanted some smores!

Weston Multi-Layered Burger Press - This new product from Weston will let you make multiple burgers of the same diameter quickly and easily. It is a little easier than using a single press if you want to make multiple but you don’t have to clean a stuffer like you do when using the Rapid Forming Patty Attachment. They tried for a best of both worlds type of product and they did a pretty good job!

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

PK-100 Review - We finally got this shot. It is being edited now and should be released in the next few weeks. It is a great little smoker and even at its price more people should be using this. It gives you professional performance and home user convenience.

The Best Burger - One of these days I am going to get around to making a few different burgers out of different types of meat and determining the “best”. I am finding I like pork burgers over beef burgers more and more so the test is going to be a 100% beef burger, a 100% pork burger, a mix of 50% 50% and maybe a brisket burger. That last one will open happen if I can convince Austin to allow me to purchase a brisket and grind it up!

What’s on our Mind?

How much does genetics play into the best diet for individuals? I know one of the reasons diets don’t work for everyone is that depending on where we came from we have different nutritional needs. Well, I just sent in my DNA genetic test to a popular company and I am getting a report on what genes I have that SHOULD show me what foods will work best with my body. Once I get that back in a few weeks I am going to alter my diet and see what the results are, I will keep a running blog of the results in body weight and energy and let everyone know. I am going to be crushed if it says I need to stop eating so much red meat!

Weston 6 Tray Digital Dehydrator Dehydrator Compact Digital Kitchen Scale Digital Scale

read more
  • C

I cold smoke all kinds of products to sell at the local farmer’s markets. Altho I use the Masterbuilt setup I’ve seen other people make their own with a 3" dryer vent hose.
    The only trick is to keep your smoke generating source away from your smoker unit as all smoke will contain some heat. The father away the better for your product. Also make sure you’re smoker unit isn’t parked in a sunny spot as this will also increase the temperature inside the unit itself. I have to use a sheet of plywood on the side of mine in the early mornings to keep the sun from hitting it.

0_1534264868535_Image19.jpg

read more
  • @Big-Mike Can you send me a picture of the product or are they already all gone? I spoke with someone here and they thought cook schedule and fatting out but your process doesn’t indicate to me that either of these was the issue.

read more
  • @mswoody6-4 The first question would be are you doing it through waltonsinc.com/win? I am assuming that you are so if that is correct the next thing to check is to make sure you are logged in on that page. You will need to login to the account first, I find the easiest way to do this is via my facebook account. Then when you click to comment it should prompt you to log in with your youtube or google account so that it can track who is commenting. If the pop-up for logging in to youtube/google is not coming up you might have a pop-up blocker running on your account and that will need to be turned off.

read more
  • Making Bratwurst from Jerky Seasonings

Learn about Making Bratwurst from Jerky Seasonings with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Meat Hacks

One of the questions we get a lot on meatgistics is if you can use a seasoning that is designed for either snack sticks or jerky to make bratwursts out of or vice versa. The answer is absolutely you can there are just a few things you need to do differently and keep in mind. First, if you are using a bratwurst or summer sausage seasoning to make jerky it might end up having a stronger taste than you are used too. This isn’t a bad thing necessarily but it is something you will need to play around with to make sure you get the taste you are looking for. The same is sort of true if you use a jerky seasoning to make a bratwurst but since in this product the seasoning will be mixed into the meat it’s not like we are going to end up with a dull tasting brat. Also, if you buy a jerky seasoning and make a bratwurst you don’t need to use the included sure cure package and if are using a bratwurst seasoning to make jerky or snack sticks then you need to purchase sure cure separately as it will not come with the brat seasoning.

So today we are going to grinding 20 lb of meat and making brats out of them. We will be doing a 10 lb of batch out of BBQ Jerky seasoning and I am going to add some ghost pepper cheese to some of this because these are going to be eaten when I’m not around and I want them to suffer! I am going to use our new seasoning Conversion Chart which I will put a link to in the description down below that shows you how much seasoning to use by weight and by measurement per 1 lb and 5 lb batch. So for BBQ seasoning for 10 lb, I will need to do 2.5 cups 2 tbsp and 4 tsp for 5 lb of brats made from bloody mary snack stick seasoning 1/4 cup and 1 tsp.

I am going to do the majority of the BBQ with no cheese but then I will add some ghost pepper to the last few lb just to see what it is like and I will add cheddar to the bloody mary brats.

I am also going to be making some Bratwursts out of Bloody Mary Jerky Seasoning and I will use the Conversion Chart for that as well.

I’ve already ground all my meat twice through a 3/8 plate. A good tip is at the end of the second grind to take a handful of meat that has already been ground twice and put it back down through the grinder, this will force the last remaining bits in the throat out through the plate so everything has been ground twice.

Since I am making bratwurst and not snack sticks out of these seasonings I don’t need any protein extraction so I am just going to mix in the seasoning and cheese by hand.

Now I am just going to stuff it. I am using a tubed hog casing and to load these we just need to slide the plastic sleeve on the stuffing tube, move the casing down to where it is all on the tube and then pull out the plastic sleeve. I also like the tubed hog casings as all you need to do is soak them in warm water before they are ready for use.

They were both pretty good but I liked the Bloody Mary ones better, the BBQ was just a bit sweet. Now, we made these from Beef so it might partially be the difference in beef fat vs pork fat but I also think that with a Bratwurst you just don’t want as sweet a product as you might want with Jerky.

So, all in all this was a success for sure. I think an important lesson to learn was that when you take a Jerky Seasoning to make Bratwurst you need to take into account what will make a good bratwurst, just because you love the taste of BBQ Jerky doesn’t necessarily mean you will love that taste in a bratwurst.

Subscribe to WaltonsTV

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat!

Subscribe to Meatgistics

Easily subscribe to any category or topic on the Meatgistics community site by clicking the green “Subscribe” button to get an email each time a new post is made!

Shop waltonsinc.com for Jerky Seasoning Shop waltonsinc.com for Bratwurst Seasoning Subscribe to WaltonsTV on YouTube Walton's Sausage Stuffer 11 lb Sausage Stuffer Weston #8 Black Series Grinder Weston Meat Grinder

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.