• Made a batch of german sausage yesterday and smoked it today. It’s more crumbly in the mouth than my last batch that was deer. When I have my elk processed I have them add 20% beef fat, I added another 10% of beef fat as I was out of pork fat. Here is the break down of the mix:
    14.86lbs elk, 1.6lbs beef fat, 5.45lbs pork butt, 0.88oz sure cure, and 8.1oz of spice blend.

So, my question is, did I not mix the meat enough to get a good protein extraction or does it have something to do with the amount of beef fat in the mix?

Thanks for the help

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Miller I would not think this would have much to do with your fat % which should be right on. Out of curiosity why do you have them add beef fat instead of pork fat? I don’t think that caused your issue but pork fat is nicer for a sausage?

My guess would be that you didnt get enough protein extraction and the fat rendered out but I could be wrong.

Can you give me what casing you used, what your smoke schedule was and any other information you think might be useful?

• Jonathon I agree pork fat would be better, however the small place I have my elk processed doesn’t have pork to add. I generally have pork fat to add if I need additional. The casings I used were the tubed natural hog 35-38mm. Smoke schedule was 150 for 3 hours, 160 for 2 hours them 170 to an IT of 150. Using a Yoder pellet grill, it was also the first time using the Yoder for smoking, so me figuring it out may be part of it too. I gave some to a friend and he said it was really good, so it could just be me/the link I cut into for a snack.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size