Sure cure hold time?

• Made sausage this morning and was planning on putting straight into the smoker. As I was mixing the Willie’s seasoning and sure cure into the meat I had my wife looking for the ECA, but found out I was out! 🤦🏻♂🤦🏻♂🤦🏻♂

So now I have to hold the sausage in the fridge to let the sure cure do it’s thing.

My question is, how long must I hold the sausage in the fridge? I’ve read 12 hrs or overnight, would I be ok only holding it 8 hrs or less?

I’m trying to get started as soon as I can, so I’m not up ALL night, since I have to work tomorrow!

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

Jeff Knott
    Try and hold it as long as you can. You may not get that nice pink color to the meat but even a few hours is better than nothing. Seeing that your using the Willie’s I’m guessing your doing snack sticks which won’t take as long to cook as summer sausage. If you still want the ECA and have a Scheels close by they do sell it.

• Thanks!!

I already stuffed this morning also and no scheels close to me.

I just wanted to make sure the sausage would be safe with a shorter hold time, not overly worried about the pink appearance.

Just ordered some ECA from Walton’s, along with an 11 lb stuffer. I’m excited to actually have a stiffer vs using a grinder to stuff, like I have been!!!

• Power User

Jeff Knott good choice you will wonder why you didn’t get one sooner like many of us !

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

Jeff Knott 12 hours is best but if you can only make 8 work then you should be ok! Sorry for the long response time, its been a weird weekend/holiday and I haven’t been around my computer until just now!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 15.4k posts in 2.0k topics.
We currently have 8.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, JoAnn Sauer.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.