Summer sausage questions

• I have a few questions on making summer sausage out of venison meat.

1. First off the venison is already ground and was ground straight. I know I will need to add some pork fatt or pork butts. Anyway should I just grind the pork by itself and then mix the 2 together or should I grind the deer again with the pork ? I am assuming you grind the pork or pork fat twice as well correct ?
      I found some smaller fibrous casings that are 1 1/2" x 12" . I was thinking of using them over the 2 1/2"x20".
      Simply because I am the only one who will be eating it. Will the smaller tubes have an effect on my temperature and time schedule?
      If you have any other tips feel free to share them. This will be my first attempt. Thanks

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

JohninPa Yea grind the pork, mix them together and regrind. Then add spice and make sure you get good protein extraction.
    Keep a thermometer in the sticks regardless of the size. Smoke 2-4 hours then into 170F water bath until they reach 160F. Put them in an ice bath to stop cooking process and done! Good luck!!

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

JohninPa If you don’t want to finish in a water bath you will still be done pretty quick with 1.5" logs. I’d guess you won’t be at the last stage for more than 2 hours or so.

You can grind exactly like parksider said!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

24 users active right now (3 members and 21 guests).
shane102, hahner119, truger, hammertime5324, stiezzi, glen, Ken1261, kylesmoney, Chris_H, skibumben

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 15.4k posts in 2.0k topics.
We currently have 8.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, GarretteFrancis.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.