A steak worthy of sharing

• Power User

A03FB9F7-5A80-4D9C-86AA-AB8D57F00D6B.jpeg

We have an unofficial motto at the shop…Eat less meat. Know where it comes from!

It may seem odd that a butcher shop would recommend that you eat less of their product but portion size was key to my weight loss and my ongoing ‘maintenance’. I try to use the palm of my hand as reference. One handful of protein and two handfuls green veggies with every meal. That comes out to about 6-8 oz meat and 2-3 cups of veggies. This will vary from person to person of course but I think proportionately speaking those with larger hands probably need a higher caloric intake than the little guys.

Last night I went with a green salad with cucumber, avocado, pickled jalapeno, Mexican crema, shredded cheese, pepitas and fermented hot chili sauce. I love spicy everything including my salad!

For my protein I chose a glorious 26 oz. rib steak from Upper Dry Creek Ranch in Weston, Or… This was a grass raised and finished Angus. This is the first time we have carried this particular product in our shop as we have 2 other sources for beef but we do carry their lamb which is quite good.

I kept the seasoning simple with salt, pepper and a touch of granulated garlic and reverse seared perfectly on the Pit Boss. There was far more than I needed for a meal so I took it back to the shop and shared it with the owners. They both exclaimed that it was one of the best cuts of steak they have ever eaten.

I have found that the grass fed is a bit more tender than our barley finished option and has a much more pronounced beefy flavor. The grass fed Corriente is much smaller and less fatty than the Angus by a long shot. The fat on the barley finished however is quite delicious.

55AD7E7F-3326-48E4-ABF5-9A1B1313FA12.jpeg

• Walton's Employee

@Joe-Hell That is a seriously nicely colored piece of meat! Took me a LOOOOONG time to realize that that was butcher paper underneath it!

• Power User

@Jonathon The crust on that steak was great!

• Regular Contributors

Now I’m going to have to cook up some of my CAB Prime Ribeyes and see if I can show your steak up! Obviously @Jonathon wouldn’t like your steak because you didn’t use the Ultimate Steak and Roast Rub on it! 🙂

• Walton's Employee

@Tex_77 And my wife made some baked chicken and we didnt have the seasoning she usually uses so she put some ultimate steak and roast on it and it was still phenomenal!

• Power User

@Tex_77 lol. I keep it super simple when seasoning steak. A good cut of beef doesn’t need much. I’d like to see that CAB!

• @Jonathon I didn’t realize it was butcher paper until you pointed it out!

• Regular Contributors

@Joe-Hell well I finally cooked a couple of the Prime CAB steaks up.
    20191215_170826.jpg
    Seasoned with Stagner Steak Rub and olive oil.
    20191215_171329.jpg
    Sous vided for a little over an hour at 117, then coated in mayo mixed with more 9f the Stagner rub.
    20191215_183309.jpg
    Seared in cast iron for 1:30 a side.
    20191215_183458.jpg
    Screenshot_20191215-190222_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191215-190205_Gallery.jpg

• Power User

@Tex_77 That’s a gorgeous piece of meat and an excellent sear! So hungry after seeing that!

• @Tex_77 Why do you use mayo? I’ve never heard of that, is it supposed to help hold the seasoning or help give a better “crust” when searing?

• @AdamCA Mayo is a neutral tasting way to put a thin layer of oil to improve the seer. Works great on meat and fish and you can flavor it w/ seasoning as well. Sorta like people use mustard on pork when they smoke…

• Regular Contributors

@AdamCA like @ClaytonD said above.

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon well since I haven’t seen the video drop, here’s some pizza dough for Pizza week!
    20200117_202718.jpg

read more
  • @Retired-RailRoader they look tasty good job

read more
  • R

C7321CCD-97F4-4BC4-834B-3A60809D7EE3.jpeg 516A4C7B-ACCE-44A5-8110-BFC863B3994E.jpeg B72BD394-6FDB-4EAB-8F0A-CDEF436AC55A.jpeg 952E13F5-CEE5-4F5B-8564-AEEDBCA14159.jpeg
    I finally got around to try my hand at chicken sausage. I used Walton’s Supreme Pizza Bratwurst Seasoning with their hi temp mozzarella cheese. I ground up 3.5lbs of chicken thighs with some of the skin through a 4.5mm plate. Once the chicken was ground I added the Supreme Pizza Bratwurst Seasoning per Walton’s conversation chart. Instead of water I used low sodium chicken broth. With everything mixed I then mixed in the 7oz. of the hi temp cheese. I stuffed them into 24-26 sheep casings. Grilled a few up for dinner and the rest will be going in the freezer. Two things I will do a little different next time. I’ll reduce the amount of cheese as the cheese seemed to be the predominant flavor. I will also reduce the amount of liquid as it seems chicken needs less then pork or beef as the slurry was a little loose.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

4 users active right now (0 members and 4 guests).
indybleck, harryparker0123, cadler, pearyrobert89

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 11.2k posts in 1.7k topics.
We currently have 7.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, systemactivation.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.