How To Make Homemade Sausage & Brats - Recipe

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

@Tdonley There are 6 tspns of cure to a 1 oz package so you can use that to figure it out. We also made a Cure Conversion Char which has Sure Cure, and other cures, broken down into weight and volume by 1 lb and 5 lb batches.

We also did one for Seasonings and Additives.

• I ground my deer meat threw 1/8 in plateis that to small for brats i see everyone using 3/16

@cruise-dw I think it is a little small for Brats yes. A 1/8 plate is better as a second grind plate for snack sticks, summer sausages or other cured products. For Bratwursts a 3/8 plate it going to give you a better consistency for a fresh product. If you are using a 1/8 plate for your first grind that is going to take a long time and it will cause a little too much stress on your meat. Switching will, at the very least, help speed up your process!

• I am making 25# of south of the boarder cheddarwurst sausages. The spice bag says to add 1oz of sure cure. What is the dif between sure cure and sure gel? And what are the proper times to use each product?

@Brian-Schillinger Sure Cure should be made when making a smoked or cured sausage, if you are making a brat just leave it out, there is no need for it, it is sodium nitrite and salt and is designed to keep the meat safe through the smoking process and preserve the smoked flavor.

Sure Gel is a binder and also doesn’t need to be used if you are making a fresh sausage like a bratwurst. It won’t hurt anything to use sure gel in a bratwurst and it will increase your yield but you dont really need it! You would have better luck adding Carrot Fiber as this won’t cause protein extraction during the mixing process

• I’m going to make a batch of fresh brats using the cheddarwurst seasoning and some high temp cheddar. My meat block will be about 60 venison / 40 pork butt (it just happens to be what I have on hand). My question is in regards to adding some carrot fiber. I’m a big fan of using it in basically any smoked snack stick or summer sausage - for moisture retention during smoking. Is there any benefit to adding it to a fresh sausage - again for moisture? I definitely prefer moist over dry in a fresh sausage link. Is there any down side to adding it?

@leafthebeef Yes, there is some argument for still adding it. If it was 100 pork butt I would say that the only real benefit you will notice is a yield enhancement of around 5% but since you are using more venison I would recommend that you do add it. This will help make up for the lack of fat in the venison by holding more moisture in the meat.

I cannot, off the top of my head, think of any product or meat block where I would strongly suggest not using carrot fiber, in fresh sausage I wouldnt recommend you add Sure Gel, Soy Protein as they are going to make it easier to get protein extraction (which you do not want in fresh sausage) but Carrot Fiber doesn’t really do that so you are free to use it!

• @Jonathon I see in your response post on the 4th, that you state sure gel can be used in fresh sausage but is not needed. can you explain why it isn’t needed? thanks

@Lunkerchaser Yeah, sure gel isn’t recommended in a bratwurst because of its ability in speeding up the protein extraction process, which is something we don’t want in fresh sausage. I realise now that the 4th comment could be misleading so I am going to change it, it isn’t really going to cause any problems but if you are looking for a binder to add to fresh sausage carrot fiber would be better. Thanks!

• @Jonathon that makes sense, thank you !

• Hi there, we have had wonderful success with your snack stick recipes, now we are trying to make some brats. On the recipe there are no cooking instructions. My smoker/oven has a temp high of 250. Could you please give me advice on cooking time and temps? Thank you

@melvin Brats are a fresh product so there doesn’t really need to be a set cooking schedule. You want to cook them much much faster than the smoked sausage as they aren’t cured. If I am doing them in a pan I do it over medium heat in a cast iron or non-stick pan and on a grill I aim for about 350° and turning them a few times.

Recently I have been experimenting with starting them on a raised shelf in my pellet grill and then moving them down to the main grill for the last 5 minutes or so. I like what it does to the overall texture of the sausage but it doesn’t get any Maillard reaction that way. So I’d just say 350° on your grill.

Whoops, didn’t see, or comprehend at least, the 250° limit. I’d just set it all the way to 250 and keep an eye on the internal temp. Since it is fresh you don’t really want to start low and increase in stages as that is a terrible environment for bacteria.

• @Jonathon thank you very much.

• Has anyone ever added Giardiniera to their Itl Sausage before? A grocery store near me does and it is fantastic. How would this affect the process? Drain the oil? After using mixer or before? Any insight?

• Power User

@Crawrugger I haven’t heard of that stuff before but I will be making sausages with it very soon now that you brought it up. I will be going scratch made so I will salt the meat prior to first grind then drain the Giardiniera and grind it with the meat and seasoning on the second pass, hold overnight and make a test patty prior to stuffing to make sure the seasoning is spot on.

@Crawrugger We talked about this somewhere else I think, that is what you put on a muffuletta sandwich I am pretty sure. The issue with adding it into the sausage would be that the vinegar would denature your proteins, I think you would be better off adding it as a topping. However, if you do it please let us know how it turns out as i LOVE muffuletta sandwiches and can imagine it would be awesome as a brat

• Power User

@Jonathon Many Italian recipes call for a vinegar addition as does a proper Chorizo. I’ve been using wine/vinegar in many recipes lately and while it does seem to denature a bit the final outcome is great. I’ll do some experimenting soon and post results. I think I’ll make the Giardiniera from scratch!

@Joe-Hell But also think of the texture of Chorizo, it is supposed to be crumbly and that is partially what the vinegar is doing, breaking down the bonds in the protein.

Make sure you post some pics…actually I don’t have to remind you of that!

• Power User

@Jonathon I’ve been making a variety of Chorizo-y lamb sausages lately with local wine. They are quite tasty!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

31 users active right now (4 members and 27 guests).
omega50, 69firefowl, GJSchley, ClaytonD, Mark buti, Tex_77, PapaSop, Sam O., Namrats, Parksider, 10Mike, tomcat1963, alanburkholder, DougSmokes, cdub2007

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 13.1k posts in 1.9k topics.
We currently have 8.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, 10Mike.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.