Rookie Move & Texture- Bavarian Brat. & Pepperoni Stick

• Not sure if I am not adding enough pork fat or? I made 1/2 Goose, 1/4 Pork Fat & 1/4 Pork Loin. I used Pepperoni seasoning and E citric acid. The flavor is great but dry, crumbling, cakey.

The same with the Bavarian, only with 1/2 lean pork, 1/4 lean beef , 1/4 Pork Fat and Bavarian Seasonings and powdered buttermilk. Thet bavarian recipe I have is not smoked just put in almost boiling water to pre-cook.

Here is the rookie move, I ran out of natural casings and used collogen casings on the last few pounds of the Bavarian. (You all know what probably happend) I heard a pop in the hot water bath opened the lid to find a casing had blown off. So I looked at the other sausages and seen a few air pockets so I stuck one with a steak knife and it blew hot water from my chin to chest. 2nd degree burns. Lesson learned.

Thank You in advance for your response’s. Smart elic responce’s assumed LOL

• Team Orange

We all do stupid things without thinking sometimes. Thanks for sharing so others can learn from your mistake.

• Canning Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Masterbuilt Regular Contributors

Wow, tuff way to learn,

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size