How To Make Homemade Snack Sticks

• Power User

@doug7777 That really depends on the size of the smoker, the amount and diameter of the product as well as the temperature outdoors. It could be an hour…it could be several.

• @Joe-Hell I have a Master Built 40 smoker. After we started smoking at 175F, we smoked the sticks for another 6 hours and only got the internal temperature to 142F. Tried several thermometer, all were within a couple degrees

• Power User

@doug7777 I also have the MB40 and have had one hell of a time trying to get to temp in a reasonable amount of time. They are well insulated and always hold the desired temp within a few degrees so I’m not sure what the issue is. I have also used multiple thermometers and even an oven thermometer and it always checks out. There is enough humidity that it drips constantly down the front glass panel. My previous MB30’s were much faster. I could generally guess the time/temp off the top of my head and hit my marks within 20 minutes. Something is amiss with the 40.

…I will often use an additional drip tray. According to the manual you should not be adding foil to any of the racks for a similar purpose as this may reduce proper airflow. Perhaps that is my issue?

• @weatherbow21 I agree with Jonathon of several points. I have been making snack sticks and summer sausage for years and I have scrapped my fair share of batches. There is certainly a difference between wild game and beef or pork from the store. My advice on this, buy a 10lb “log” of 80/20 from Sam’s. This takes out the grinding and having to mix in the right amount of fat. I have made several successful batches this way. BE PATIENT! The more meat you have in the smoker, the longer it is going to take, however, you will find that your temps will fluctuate less. If you get impatient and crank up the heat, you increase your chances of “fatting out”. Been there, done that.
    You don’t have to put the entire batch in the smoker at one time as long as you are not using citric acid. Put in a few pounds, follow the temp settings in the recipe, and you will likely have good results in 4-5 hours max. I never set my smokers above 170, but I may try since I am seeing 175 a lot in the Walton’s recipes.
    For a binder, I always use soy protein, but the type of binder that you use is based on your preference. I never make a batch without it.
    I also document everything from start to finish. I find this helps me to remember not to leave ingredients out of my recipe. It sucks when you get done stuffing and then find your bag of cheese still sitting on the counter. ☹ I document my temp settings, time of day, internal temp, smoke on, smoke off, etc. and I do this with every batch I make. You can then record your results, flavor, texture, presentation. I often go back through my notes just skimming results to see what worked and what didn’t, especially if I am trying a new recipe. If you are fairly new to sausage making and you are not busting casings during the stuffing process, you might not be packing them tight enough. You definitely do not want to under stuff. You will get unsightly fat deposits between the meat and the casing. Don’t give up!

• @doug7777 142 degrees is a stalling point where the fat starts to render. I used to get very impatient and start cranking up the heat to get the INT to go up. That usually results in burning all the fat out of the snack sticks. Be patient. The temp will eventually start to rise again. Once it does, it will continue to do so at a steady pace. I have had snack sticks in the smoker for 24 hours or better due to having 25lbs hanging at one time. I have also had 4-5 lbs at a time in the smoker only take 4-5 hours total.

• Made my 1st batch of Snack Sticks Following this excellent tutorial. I used 100% Wagyu Brisket Trimmings, Dehydrated Jalapeno, & Cheddar Cheese, & Willies Seasoning. Can’t wait to make some more, and try some other flavor combinations.
    Overall for a 1st attempt I was very happy with the final results, but I’ll make a few tweaks to the process next time.
    IMG_7085.jpeg
    58082513020__34C61F3A-013B-49E8-AEA6-5C57E9D508C6.jpeg
    IMG_7077.jpeg

• Power User

@PaulGrant Those look really, really good! Well done sir!

• @PaulGrant
    Man, those look nice! I’d celebrate with some Tito’s.😉

• @Joe-Hell Thank you!

• @PapaSop Lol. That’s actually a lamp, but I agree

• Power User

@PapaSop I was going to mention a cocktail! Lol

• @PaulGrant
    What cut of beef did you use? I’ve never tried all beef. Looks like you did a fine grind on those.

• @PaulGrant
    Oops, just seen the Wagyu.

• @PapaSop It was a coarse and then a fine grind. I then ran it through a meat mixer to get good protein extraction. added the cheese and mixed in by hand. I trim dozens of Wagyu briskets a year and usually end up with a couple hundred pounds of trimmings that need to be used for something.

• Walton's Employee

@PaulGrant You should be happy with those results, they look amazing! Good choice on the Willie’s, I have a batch in the smoker right now of Willie’s with Encapsulated Citric Acid, Cheddar cheese and Sure Gel. It is 70% pheasant and 30% pork fat, I can’t wait to see how they turn out!

• @Jonathon Thank you! I’m curious to hear the results of the Pheasant sticks

• Walton's Employee

@PaulGrant They were actually excellent! I am surprised and extremely pleased with how tasty they were. I used 4 lb of pheasant breast, 1 lb of pork fat that I just trimmed off of a pork butt that I bought this morning. They have a great consistency, texture, snap and taste. I’d highly recommend this to anyone who hunts pheasant and likes making snack sticks!

• @Austin
    Hey, I’m new here so not even sure if this is the right way to post a question… but I’m looking to make pepperoni snack sticks and the article said it could be done without a casing…I have a jerky shooter with a snack stick attachment but do not have a smoker so would need to do this in the oven. Do you have a step by step recipe on how to accomplish this using venison meat? Thanks!!

• Admin

@lucius
    If you want to use an oven, check out this post here for some helpful tips:
    https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/1463/meat-processing-equipment-208-low-temp-oven

For making a skinless snack stick, you can follow the same beginning process. Same ingredients, grind, mix, etc. When you stuff, you are just using the jerky shooter instead of a stuffer, and no casing. So, you want to stuff the sticks directly onto a cooking rack, or pan, etc. that you can place in the oven. To get the oven to stick to the temperatures you will want to try to hit in the cook cycle, read the article above, but you will also have to experiment a bit with your oven to see how you can make it work best in your case. They key is a low starting temp with a gradual increase. Starting the cooking process with a higher heat will end up with a less than desirable product, but at least still edible as long as you cook to a 160 internal temp.

We don’t have any other full write-ups using a jerky shooter. Just try to follow the info in the recipe here as closely as you can, or also read through the Meatgistics University article here: https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/1463/meat-processing-equipment-208-low-temp-oven and when it comes to cooking, trying to follow the same cook cycle as you would on a smoker, but read the article about cooking in an oven above.

• Hey guys, I’m the new kid in the neighborhood and have only made a couple of posts on this forum. I have read extensively all of the post concerning prepping homemade snack sticks and I’'m ready to try my hand. I know I’ll make mistakes but I learn by doing. I’m as familiar as I can be with your on line processes and procedures, and you have done well in your presentations.
    OK, Back to me and my problems. Hardware ??? 1. I have in-house a medium size household food grinder that I plan on trying?? to use. 2. I have a Hobart commercial stand mixer, 3 speed, 1/3 hp pulling 8.2 amps. I plan to buy the 16 lb. Walton stuffier. I can’t justify the Walton smoker at this time. Help needed on a reasonably priced and quality SS smoker. Thank You Tommy

• Power User

@Ode-Tom The Masterbuilt 40 models are good bang for the buck and Pit Boss 5 series vertical seems like a good option. If their smoker is anything like the grill I bought recently it should perform well. Both companies also have good customer support should you need it.

• Walton's Employee

@Ode-Tom Another option would be a smoker/pellet grill combo like the GMG, Yoder (might be a little pricey) or something like that? More bang for your buck and while not necessarily ideal for smoking snack sticks it 100% can be done and it gives you more use. I personally use only my pellet grill/smokerat home now. Though, admittedly when I do snack sticks or something I have either the PK 100 or the big commercial smoker here that I can use.

• Hi Guys, I’m still in the hunt for a affordable smoker that will fit into wallet. You folks are the best at follow up. Thanks to all of you. I do have an idea and a direction for my temporary smoker. Will investigate further tomorrow. My best regards Tommy

• problems with hydration in making snack sticks using excalibur maple-bacon mix. I’m working with aged Akaushi beef. age can be up to 60 to 70 days. I’m using 16mm smoked casings. in the directions for the mix no water is added. the first ingredient in the mix is brown sugar. Sugar is hygroscopic I added water to loosen (1# H2O/25# protein) it a bit and to make up for the dehydration during the aging. After cooking the next day the water leached out and the flavors were very weak. The next batch i made without water it set up like cement. I had to add some water to loosen it (to stuff). My electric stuffers won’t handle the load. I used my cured sausage stuffer (it has gears on it like a 59 ford 9 inch rear end, it is a beast) it did the job but it was a workout. The standard summer sausage mix i use calls for 3#of water per 25# of meat. It’s not excalibur brand and it works great. I know i have an issue with the age, and casing size. But i work as the butcher for a shop that raises the Beef. So it’s the product i use. I have 30 years experience in charcuterie and have always used my own seasonings I mixed myself. The water i added will effect the PH level and shy of doing an emulsification and with the marbling of the meat I think that will be a lost cause. I’m lost here. Any suggestions? Thanks

• @raypete I also tie and hang in link bunches and the ones i added 1# of H2O after 12 hrs of hanging had excess moisture that sweated though the casings, not a lot but I’ve never had that happen with any sausage i have made, raw or cured.

• @Jonathon Hey Jonathon, Ihave a Traeger smoker, have you used one? The lowest setting is “smoke” and pretty sure it’s at least 150 degrees. What would you recommend for me to successfully do snack sticks with it for the cycle? thanks.

• Walton's Employee

@Tomg Get a good probe thermometer that will let you measure ambient temps accurately. The Grill Eye Pro Plus is what we have been using, (the recent firmware update allows you to connect through wifi more consistently and from “anywhere”) and then experiment with propping the lid.

We’ve done this recently with our oven and were able to stabilize the top rack at almost exactly 120°. We didnt have to prop the door open too much either, just a little bit to let the heat escape was all that was required.

So, prop the lid with your ambient temp thermometer and move it around a few places to find hot/cold spots. After the 125° phase you can either try to get to 140° by increasing the temp or closing the lid more OR go right to 150°, the 10° difference isn’t going to make or break the snack stick though if it were me I would try for the 140°.

• @Jonathon
    Speaking of hot and cold spots. Never realized how much outside air temp comes into play until this last snack stick smoke. Being that I use LP and drawing air through there was a wide variance in temps. My smoker is thermostatically controlled. Early morning outside temp was 60 deg. No problem getting down to 122 for drying. Three hours later when the sun came out and the temps rose, had to keep adjusting it down because of temp spikes.

The older MB 30 I had to prop lower door open even on lowest setting. The wind also comes into play.

Wow…This is fun stuff!

• Walton's Employee

@PapaSop Outside temp and air flow sometimes absolutely comes into play! With a well-insulated smoker (@Parksider is going to appreciate his PK100 in the cold cold upstate NY winters) it’s not as big of a deal but it certainly still comes into play!

These are the things we have to deal with when home processing, and when you take all of that into account and realize we are making a product at least 90% as good as a commercial processor it’s pretty amazing!

• @Jonathon PERFECT! thanks I’ll give that a try

Recent Posts

• R

@Jonathon I have not tried WD-40 yet, the brass piece on the knob end seems to move freely, and seems to have full range of travel… just not far enough to allow the mixer paddle to slip free… There is no rust, in fact, this appears to be brand new… don’t even see any scratches on the plastic lid…

I have removed the handle / crank, but the brass piece on that side is still in the mixer… It appears this inserts from the inside, and to remove it the paddle must be removed first… am I somehow wrong about this?

read more
  • @craigrice Currently the only least expensive thing we have that will do this is the E-Z Slider and that is beyond what anyone would want to spend on something to make homemade sliders.

If weston or anyone else ever makes a slider press that hooks up to the stuffers or grinders you can be sure we will sell them!

read more
  • Okay, Im sure you’ve already done this but in the one on the left the knob is screwed in and somewhat loose, on the left it is screwed in all the way AND I am pulling back on it, it drags the thicker part back into the recess. Also, I assume you have removed the screw and the handle from the other side and pulled out the brass piece over there as well?

I assume you have tried that as you attempted to spread out the sides. I’d try shooting some blaster or wd40 from both the inside and around the knob area and let it sit on its side a little. I think it is most likely going to be a rusty spring or rust on the threads and that blaster stuff is pretty amazing at dealing with rust.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (0 members and 12 guests).
knifemaker3

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.6k posts in 1.4k topics.
We currently have 5.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jordan1919.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.