Summer sausage

• Me and some friends made a batch of summer sausage a few weeks ago and it turned out great. I decided to make some myself. I used roughly 70/30 mix of venison and pork fat. After grinding, mixing, stuffing and then being in the fridge for 4-5 hours already, I realized I didn’t add the water when I was mixing. It looked really good and was very sticky after mixing. I guess that’s why I never put any thought into anything being wrong. I am planning on smoking it tomorrow afternoon. Will it still be ok, or did I just screw up an entire batch of SS ? Any advice is appreciated

• Josh85 I suspect it will be fine. Maybe a little drier than you’d prefer but certainly not ruined

• iowa arborist I was hoping for an answer like that. I figured I’d just make sure to keep water in the pan and hope for the best. I’ll let you know how it turns out later tonight.

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors

Josh85 like they said above, texture may be drier and may have some wrinkling on casings. Not a big deal, still be edible. Thats the best thing you can do is keep a pan of water in there for humidity. I recommend boiling the water prior to putting in the smoker so it doesnt have to heat up before giving off humidity. Just make sure your water goes in after your smoke cycle

• Let you know tomorrow how it turned out. Pulled it out about 11:55. Let it set in an ice bath for about 25min and then put it all in a tub and slid it in the fridge. It’s been a long evening and have to work tomorrow. I’m hoping for the best. I was worried they’d be wrinkled up, but am pleasantly surprised on how they look.

• Josh85 Have faith, they’ll be awesome! I always try and do all 5-6 deer in a one week period so definitely had plenty of lack luster nights of sleep during processing time, feel your pain there, but always feels worth it in the end

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Josh85 I’m interested in how these turned out! Was stuffing them very hard? I’d imagine that putting it into summer sausage casings made it easier but still difficult, good thing it wasnt snack sticks!

Post pics if you have the time!

• Jonathon I am very pleasantly surprised with how they turned out. I honestly had already told myself that my dogs would eat good for the next few weeks. They somehow aren’t dry and have really good flavor. I did get a little too much smoke in them, but it’s not bad. Just a little more than I prefer. I believe I added water to the smoker too soon. I grabbed 2 out of the fridge this morning and took to work with me. I was pretty skeptical, but knew that the guys at work would tell me if they were horrible or not. I didn’t get any major complaints, so I’ll call it a success.

As far as stuffing them goes, it wasn’t that bad for what I have to work with. But, I also don’t have any prior casing stuffing with my little grinder to go off of. Everything I’ve made or helped make before has been at a friends house and he has a 3/4 horse grinder that we use to stuff. Mine was definitely a big change from it. I see a decent size grinder/stuffer in my near future.

• Jonathon I will try to get a pic tomorrow if I can remember.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size