Electric smokers

• @Retired-RailRoader great job ! You should do a thread on this. Looks great . Glad it’s working and controlling temps

• I did 25# of snack sticks on the Camp Chef XXL vertical pellet yesterday. I was able to fit the whole batch in the smoker using the racks. The smoker worked great it was 35 degrees out and very windy and had no trouble with temps. The lowest temp setting is 150 so I started there with the vent wide open for the first hour and it held steady at around 120. After the first hr I rotated tracks and left it at 150 with the vent half open and the temp rose into the 130’s. The 3rd hr I rotated racks and turned it to 175 and put the 2 meat probes in. When the meat temp broke 130 I pulled them and finished them in an electric roaster with the water temp 170-180. I was impressed with the Camp Chef, the pellets produce a good amount of smoke while cooking. The sticks turned out great thanks to all the good information on this website!
    20200105_152809.jpg

• 20200105_175029.jpg

• Team Blue

@Stats77 Thanks for the idea. I bought it from Sams Club so doubt they will do anything but tell me to call MAsterbuilt, but worth a shot. It was the last one they had for the season when I got it.

• Team Blue

@Joe-Hell I am now over a week since I sent my original email with zero response. do you have any contact information that I can use to get a hold of someone?

• Power User

@Brianh I haven’t heard back anything from them after directly contacting CS through their website. I had also left my phone number through their automated system a week or two ago with no response. I had been trading messages with whomever works on their instagram page lately and it’s hit and miss. They claim someone will be contacting me by 5pm today.

• @Stats77 I have a pit boss series II and I love it, just wish it was a little bigger. Secondary I would prefer pellets over chips, just makes the smoking process easier not having to refill every few hours

• @tmeiners82 looks great ! thanks for sharing …looks like the Campchef did great with temps. Awesome.

• Team Blue

@Joe-Hell Joe, thanks for the help getting in touch with Masterbuilt. Not resolved yet but they are at least responding and giving me things to try. Nothing successful yet but we’ll see what happens.

• Power User

@Brianh It sounds like you are getting farther than I am! Lol. I’m still waiting patiently and biting my lip!

• A question for the house or the retired railroader. I have a Smokin Tex electric 1400. My low temp is somewhere all over the map. Little or very little temp. control. Looking for a good controller and we read about the PID on this forum. My question to you please. Which PID controller should I be investigating. From their web site the price range ± $200 and many to choose from.
    All ideas, suggestion, and inputs are appreciated.
    Best regards
    Tommy

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

This is pretty sweet set up https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/1732/working-on-opening-day @hotkarl do you have any advice/thoughts on this?

• Power User

@Ode-Tom I think that black betty had a post on that a week or two ago

• Team Orange Regular Contributors

I can’t say anything bad about my masterbuilt 30 or 40…20190406_101135-1612x1209.jpg

• @Ode-Tom I have had really good luck with my controller that I purchased from Auber Instruments. Holds temp within 1 degree. I did wire in a solid state relay to handle the load of dual electric burners in my smoker. I would 100% purchase again.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

• @Stats77
    I use my Primo XL Oval as an electric smoker. I bought a $10 electric hot plate from Walmart and a temperature controller from Auberins. It works great! I bought the higher end controller so that I can step up the temperature based on time, best investment that I made.

TomKat

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

@TomKat1962 any pics of that set up? I’m curious!

• @Jonathon
    IMG_2820.jpg ![IMG_2819.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1579788906199-img_2819-resized.jpPicture2.png Picture1.png g)

Jonathon,
    These are the components I used; unfortunately my Primo is at my beach house.
    On the electric burner you need to open it up and bypass the temperature rheostat and high temperature cut out switch or the burner will cycle on and off and won’t maintain temperature. I simply put the burner in the charcoal area and run the cord through the air inlet.
    Auberins offer several versions of the PID controller the one I used is WS-1211GPH. It is a true PID controller so your temperature wont over shoot. I pre-heat my grill for at least 30 minutes to allow the ceramic to heat up and temperature to stabilize.
    I also made an adapter and utilize a Smoke Daddy smoke generator. You can put a pan on top of the burner filled with wood chips, but I found that I have much better control of the amount of smoke introduced into the meats with the Smoke Daddy (Great product).

Good Luck!

• @Ode-Tom said in Electric smokers:

A question for the house or the retired railroader. I have a Smokin Tex electric 1400. My low temp is somewhere all over the map. Little or very little temp. control. Looking for a good controller and we read about the PID on this forum. My question to you please. Which PID controller should I be investigating. From their web site the price range ± $200 and many to choose from.
    All ideas, suggestion, and inputs are appreciated.
    Best regards
    Tommy

Sorry for the delay. The controller I have is from Auber Instruments. The model number is WSD-1510GPH and I love it. It keeps my temps rock solid. If I were to buy one today I most likely would go for the WIFI unit model WSD-1500H-W. Jere are the links for both units, hopefully they don’t get deleted.WSD-1500GPH and WSD-1500H-W. I have a write up on how I modified my Masterbuilt for the controller but it was originally taken down by admin. Hopefully it will stay this time Masterbuilt mod. Hopefully this helps. If you need any more info just PM me.

John Belvedere

• Regular Contributors

Something for all owners to think about is rebuilding/modifying your broken Masterbuilt smokers with new controls such as the Inkbird digital controller or another similar product and if we who own one all work together and share our information we should be able to not only fix, but make it am better smoker. I think they also need a convection fan to make the temperature more constant threw out the smoker.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (3 members and 8 guests).
knifemaker3, collins, Dfryer, Mr Wyss, RandyNight, dbueling, john german, GJSchley, JPAP, tannman3669, Departing Contestant, Tex_77

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 13.3k posts in 1.9k topics.
We currently have 8.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, scottfletcher.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.