• I am having a walleye fry tomorrow for a bunch of friends. I decided to make it surf and turf since it new years. Have 2 whole deer back straps and about a 5 lb chunk of elk back strap. Most of my friends and family that are coming like there deer meat cooked well done. I’ve never brined deer before so I was interested if anyone out there would share there recipe and experience with brining. Im not going to waste my elk cooking to well done so it is getting salt, pepper, and fresh garlic grilled to medium.

• Team Blue

mts1829 I ‘dry brine’ beef steak quite often but have yet to try the method with venison. I will cover the surface of a plate with a 1/4” layer of kosher salt, lay the steak on top and then I’ll add another thick layer of salt. I’ll leave it for up to 20 minutes on steak that are under 1” and up to 25-30 minutes for thicker cuts. After that time has elapsed I rinse off the excess salt under cold water, pat dry with paper towels and allow it to dry uncovered On a rack over a pan or plate in the fridge overnight. When it’s time to grill I give it a thin coat of avocado oil and some fresh cracked pepper and cook to desired temp…which isn’t well done. Lol

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

mts1829 I agree with Joe Hell, a simple rub would go a long way. Venison tenderloin is so tender is you brine it I’d be afraid of it literally falling apart. May want to tie it up if you are grilling so it says together.

• Parksider
    Thank you for your thoughts!!!

• Team Blue PK100 Power User

mts1829 Second thought…do you know how to basket weave bacon? if so, I’d spice and wrap that bad boy and put it on the grill !!! Basket weave is easy, check out youtube.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

mts1829 I might be too late but I HIGHLY recommend this with back strap https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/879/how-to-make-venison-backstrap but I am a fanboy of the Pa’s Black Bull so take that with a small grain of salt. I’d recommend injecting and then vac sealing and putting in your fridge for no more than 6 hours.

• Respectfully, our family does not cook venison tenderloins since they are so precious. Many times, this extends to back straps taken from a young deer, but not elk. If you are a meat connoisseur and enjoy your meat very rare consider our way of enjoying venison tenderloins, Carpaccio style.

1. Slice the deer or elk tenderloin as thin as possible by using a slicer or wrapping the meat in plastic wrap and chilling it until firm and using knife. Leaving the plastic wrap on while knife cutting makes the meat more manageable and will assist in producing uniform cuts, but makes for a little more clean-up. Using a long cutting stroke with a roast carving knife makes this process easiest for me.

2. Lay the meat out on a platter without overlap and very lightly sprinkle with coarse salt, Preferably Kosher salt. Sometimes we don’t make it to the next step and start eating.

3. Next, drizzle the meat with a high-grade balsamic vinegar.

4. If we make it this far, we add capers and it’s done. You can add cracked pepper and other greens or garnishes to your liking, but for us it begins to camouflage the true taste of the meat.

5. Enjoy before it disappears!

• Team Blue

MT Elk Hunter I’d hit that!

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Green Mountain Grill Masterbuilt

I just used the Soluble Cajun injection seasoning on a tenderloin last weekend and a few sprinkles of the ultimate steak and roast rub shaker and that came out fantastic. I need to order some more of that injection because it was delicious!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.