Low temps using a kamado style smoker

• I’m posting this for anyone trying to maintain very low temps on a Kamado smoker. There is not much information out there when it comes to running these below 170 so I thought this may help. All Kamado are a little different but I would think this could work for most of them. I have a BGE and a Acorn that I have added some mods too. I decided to use the acorn for the test as it’s a little bit easier to get temperatures down if they rise .

This is what I used to to this.

1. Hard lump …I used the smallest pieces I could find and I made a snake design on the outer part of the basket
    2. Deflector plate.
    3. PID with a fan
    4. Wood chips.
    5. 5lb snack sticks( I didn’t want to do to much for the test)

I started just a few coals on the left side closest to the air inlet that the fan is on. Put my deflector on and grate. opened up the top vent about half. I set controller to 130. Once temps got to around 100 degrees Fahrenheit I closed the top vent with only a slight opening about 1/4 inch.

It maintained 130 degrees for one hour then set controller to 145. I opened up the top damper to half again. Once temps started rising I closed it back 1/4 inch open. I ran it another hour. After one hour I added my wood chips . After I brought the temp to 155 for 2/12 hours. I probably could have brought the temp to 175 and finished the cook but I decided to finish off in water.

The Kamado and PID controller did well maintaining the temps. The ambient temp was about 40 degrees so that maybe helped as well. I also kept the lid closed as much as possible. I had two probes I used for meat temp and one for pit temp. The stocks turned out amazing.

Things I would do different

I could have probably added more smoke. Next time I’m may add my smoke tube. I also may add a pan of water with sponges on the diffuser at my 155 cook. I also will try doing this now with the BGE as it can hold more meat.

I hope this helps anyone that has the same kind of set up I have.
    A0778130-58B0-42DC-B4FA-4672CDEEBF4E.png

47F55038-CE17-4166-B88B-59CDAF8DCECB.jpeg
    7C2B5140-D5DE-4134-A47F-20E6FD9BB498.jpeg

3E649094-F28B-4A22-AEB5-0872C8F1EBC2.jpeg

84883AF2-18D5-47D7-85E0-D3CA9BD91911.jpeg
    67D2A97C-138D-4E91-B472-F89717A39E0D.jpeg
    11367F93-57C9-4CB6-9002-4545B47E8491.png

• Team Blue

Stats77 Great post!

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills

I just got a new chimney cap for my Primo, its a Smokeware Stainless Steel cap, it eliminates the Daisy Wheel style that BGE, Primo, and the older model Kamado Joe’s come with. In my one cook using it, I found it greatly improved my temperature control, as it doesn’t move when you open the lid of the grill like the daisy wheel style does. I would think for the best low temp control, you will need a fan an controller to help maintain that low of a temp, which you already have.

• Tex_77 nice. Yea. I have not tried one yet but I plan on getting one for my BGE. Yes I don’t think this would work without the controller.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

Stats77 I agree with Joe Hell this is a REALLY good post!

• Jonathon thank you I appreciate that. I have prob a silly questions but is the spot where it shows like rules for posting I. Forums? I’ve seen a couple times where people have posted a external link and then it’s removed. Just kind of wondering as I am pretty new here and when I posted pics I wasn’t sure if having the pic with my controller was ok. I’m probably overthinking this but I thought I would ask. Thanks

Stats77 Just don’t post links to the competition’s websites and you should be in the clear for the most part.

Stats77 Yeah, in general, if it is bad it will be removed but there isn’t anything like a penalty if you post something that gets removed.

Well i finally got a chance to use my Fireboard Drive Fan on Primo XL today, i think it will work great once i get it tuned in, but cooking a pork loin was really too short of a cook to play with it much.
    20200322_160938.jpg

Well got to use my Firedboard Fan today, and I couldn’t be happier with it! Had it set at 225 and over the course of about 8 hours it held an average temp of 225.
    Screenshot_20200329-162739_FireBoard.jpg

I’ll also add I think the key to the fan doing what you want us to have your grill/smoker basically tuned in to the temp you want it to hold at before putting the fan on.

Tex_77 That is pretty awesome man! How much fuel did you go through during that process? 8 hours is a long time for it to hold that steady and I see one drop that could possibly be adding more wood or whatever you were using but other than that one drop halfway through it is remarkably steady!

Jonathon I just had it loaded by 3/4 full with charcoal, the big drop is when I opened the lid to take the chicken off. I haven’t checked to see how much fuel is left yet, but I’m thinking it probably ran through a good portion of it.

Jonathon i refueled the Primo today and still had half a load of charcoal left over from the last 8 hour plus cook.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (0 members and 17 guests).
knifemaker3, TomKat1962

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.6k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, drbrown35801.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.