Cured Sausage help/question

• My cured sausage is coming out of the smoker quite greasy and I’m wondering if it’s normal or do I need to change my process. The last batch went something like this. 10.9lbs of venison (with 30% pork fat added), plus 30% untrimmed pork butt, plus cure and spice mix. I did not use a binder. The product turns out good and is juicy, but when I take it off the smoker it’s greasy. I’m using a Yoder ys640 with a starting temp of 150 which it has a hard time keeping, the low temp is from 170-190. I rotate as best I can not to get thing to hot to fast. I leave the temp at 150 for 2 hours then bump to 160 and with the fluctuation of temps I end up with a completed cook with IT’s at 150-160 in about 4-4.5 hours pulling them as they get to temp. So, my questions are 1. Is the greasy product I’m getting normal? 2. If not what should I do to fix the problem? I have thought about getting a PK100 but am wondering if I would end up in the same space. Am I getting to hot to fast? I would like to expand the products I’m making but I’m concerned that not being able to control my temps I would be unhappy.
    Thanks for your advice,

• Power User

Miller I think your cooking schedule is ok and all electric anything will vary in temp during heat cycles there for I would guess that 1 your protein extraction is lacking and 2 the use of a binder to hold everything together will be the answer

• Power User

Miller my opinion is your a bit heavy on fat ratio and your smoker starts out too high

• craigrice, the smoker I’m using is a pellet grill. I feel like my extraction is good, but I’ll mix longer on my next batch and use carrot fiber, I have that.

• iv done that.and was mad as heack .all that work. to destroy 2 days of labor. theres to much fat there.if your pork butt was trimed of its fat you would of been good to go.your heat got to hot in the start or got to hot to fast in the end and it fatted out.i hate that when it happens.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

craigrice Yes, I’d say protein extraction is at least a portion of this. twilliams also has a good point, it is a little too much fat. If you are adding 30% pork fat, adding 30% more untrimmed butts is gonna put you a little higher than is ideal. At some point, no matter how much protein you have extracted or what binder you use, some fat is going to render out.

• Jonathon so, what I’m herring you say is, perhaps 30-35% fat overall is where I should be and if adding pork try to use trimmed pork if I have already added 30% to my meat block, and I should always use a binder like carrot fiber.

• Power User

Miller look for 25% fat overall at the max on your meat block. You can use carrot binder if you wish but i never use a binder and my batches come out holding together. You just need to mix thoroughly to get good protein extraction

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Miller Yeah, unless you are going for something very specific, like chorizo, 30% is the max fat you want to go with. Carrot fiber or sure gel is almost always a good idea with cured sausage, not as important with fresh but with cured sausage I always use it

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

33 users active right now (2 members and 31 guests).
Joe Hell, Mr.slehman, glen, josephbndt22

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.5k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, hesstrees.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.