Boston Butt vs Shoulder vs Picnic?

Recent Posts

• S

I am posting all over tonight. We had a meat making party this weekend. Made 25 lb venison sticks, 30 lb venison bacon, 30 lb italian pork sausage, 20 lb soppressata and 10 lb of spanish chorizo. Oh and 40 lb of venison ring bologna (that was an old family recipe not using Walton’s). We had about 75 lb of chunked venison to start. We got a half hog from the butcher because it was cheaper than buying shoulders and belly (belly is $5/lb!). The amount was perfect! We only had a roast from the hind quarter and ribs left over to freeze.

For the bacon I found a kit online at another vendor. I would love it if Walton’s had one and if someone knows please let me know for the next time. I used 3 kits, each for 10 lb. My meat block for each was 6 lb of venison and 4 lb of pork belly. We ground it once and mixed by hand for a while until it was pretty sticky. Packed in 13x9x2 aluminum cake pans. Let it set overnight. Smoked the bacon on a pellet grill the next day and put back in cake pans and refrigerated overnight. Next day sliced it all up.

It turned out great! Plenty of fat and so good. Beats the fake turkey bacon by far.

IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG

read more
  • S

Since I had a great experience with Walton’s meat sticks and I have a surplus of pork sausage in the freezer, I am planning to make pork hot dogs in a few weeks. Our family butchers every year and I don’t want all the sausage I get from half a hog. I would like to make 10 lb of it into hot dogs. Do you think 100% pork would be okay? I have no idea if I am going to leave skins on or not. Still have to do the research!

read more
  • S

@srg158

Pictures…IMG_2266.JPG 60106704180__B9DA5097-6ED0-4D0A-A2E6-F50261ABBF5E.JPG

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

13 users active right now (4 members and 9 guests).
erich52, mosales, srg158, kyle, Rambo1952, mrhatland, 57cowboy, s.a.m, omega50

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 11.6k posts in 1.8k topics.
We currently have 7.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, ggreen1.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.