Pork Burgers

• Team Blue

Both of my kids played travel baseball\softball for many years (one still is). Local concession stand favorite was always pork burgers from a local locker. I have tried many times to duplicate it but was never successful. I think I came close tonight. I had an abundance of fresh ground pork from butchering a couple hogs my son and I got this weekend.

I mixed up 5 pounds of pork burger with 5 ounces of the Excalibur BBQ Smoked Stick Seasoning (no cure) and it’s pretty darn good. I think the next batch I’ll up the seasoning to maybe 7 ounces to 5 lbs of meat but these were pretty darn good!

Anyone else have a recipe? I still have quite a bit of ground pork to use.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Brianh I have been trying to tell people this for years here! Pork makes a better burger than beef! I realized it when I was making patties out of what was left in the bottom of the stuffer/stuffing tube. So I went ahead and played around with just focussing on that, now, we added some extra stuff on this one but here is the post/video https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/1443/gourmet-burger here is Tex_77 burger thread https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/1812/the-burger-thread and here is Joe Hell s burger thread

All have some good opinions and ideas. For a seasoning have you tried the Jalapeno or Roasted Garlic & Onion patty mix? I’d highly recommend both but the jalapeno one is pretty spicy, probably too spicy for kids or those who don’t like a little heat. I wouldn’t say this of either Excalibur’s Snack Stick or Summer Sausage jalapeno seasoning by the way, but they seem to be using either more or somehow hotter peppers in this mix.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning

Jonathon I like how you didn’t link Joe Hell s thread. Also any word on the Better Burger Patty Mix from Excalibur?

I can’t say I’ve ever had a true pork burger, but I do know that Seaboard produces a lot of them. When I lived in the Oklahoma Panhandle at any event sponsored by Seaboard they would have pork burgers.

• Team Blue

Jonathon I generally fry up a patty with the stuffer leftovers or save up from a few runs and mix with an equal part ground beef with egg and bread crumbs for meatloaf. I love that jalapeño patty mix but I’d caution those sensitive to heat!

• Team Blue

Jonathon Thanks for the reply. I am using 100% ground pork trimmed to very roughly 75-25%. I appreciate the suggestions on other seasonings and will try them at some point. I am pretty happy with the BBQ smoked stick but wondering how much I can add without being too much in burger form. The 1 ounce per pound was OK but I think it needs more. Do you have any general guidelines on using snack stick seasoning for burgers?

I also made 15 pounds of brats with the Excalibur Beer seasoning and cheddar cheese last night. The patty left over in the bottom of the press was awesome, can’t wait to try the actual brats.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information on this site!

• Team Blue

Brianh I’d treat it like a seasoning salt and go by taste. Add a bit and make a test patty. Also, I sent you a PM regarding Masterbuilt.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

22 users active right now (2 members and 20 guests).
Chef, glen, neospore22, scott farm, Austin

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.5k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, fredman.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.