No pork fat

• Hey guys so I’m having a really hard time trying to find pork fat local to me. Every butcher I’ve gone to says they don’t have any for me to buy. I’ve gotten excuse after excuse as to why and they all say “just use beef fat”

Now will this really make that big of a difference? I’m making some breakfast sausage today and have enough pork fat on the picnic but when I’m making other items I’m not sure if this will taste different.

Any input? I really wish I had lamb fat available to mix with my pheasant but that’s even further out of the question lol

• Wow, I don’t get that. My butcher will toss it in a 5 gallon bucket in the cooler for me if I take him the bucket. lol The grocery stores even sell the trim for about a buck a pound if you’re not as cheap as I am. 🙂 I’m in Colorado and you can source it anywhere if it’s not to far.

Ask your butcher what you’re suppose to make cracklings or pork rinds out of…

• If you are talking to a supermarket butcher, they don’t have fat since their meats come from a central processing location without the trimmings. Contact a butcher shop which only sells meat or smaller grocer who cuts their own meat. I rarely see a pheasant sausage recipe, what’s in yours?

• I talked to the meat manager at my local supermarket and he tells me that the pork that they get is pre-trimmed and they just don’t have any pork trimmings. He says that the beef is also pre-trimmed, but that there is a bit of fat that they trim off, so they have a bit of beef fat, but no pork fat. I think that it is mostly a waste of time to ask at chain supermarkets. Either they don’t have any fat to trim or they are not allowed to sell it. That’s a management decision, not theirs. I did find a meat market about fifteen miles south of me that will sell me pork trimmings and untrimmed pork butt.

• In my opinion there is a definite difference in the taste between beef and pork fat.

One option if available to you is to use pork belly. Grind it up and most are pretty fatty. Or use boston butt.

• @MT-Elk-Hunter I didn’t even go to my local food store because I had a feeling they get their meats pre trimmed.

I ended up going to 3 local small business butchers one was actually 40 minutes away. It seems butchers hoard pork fat here in NJ

Just another thing we can’t get in NJ I guess.

Ended up buying a large pork butt, but @ $3.99 per pound that gets expensive

• @BobbyMac said in No pork fat:

@MT-Elk-Hunter I didn’t even go to my local food store because I had a feeling they get their meats pre trimmed.

I ended up going to 3 local small business butchers one was actually 40 minutes away. It seems butchers hoard pork fat here in NJ

Wow $3.99 for pork butt!! And I thought $1.54 was high! Guess I’d better count my blessings!

• Regular Contributors

@s-a-m just use 50% wild game and 50% ground pork. You wont be disappointed, my opinion

• @s-a-m said in No pork fat:

@BobbyMac said in No pork fat:

@MT-Elk-Hunter I didn’t even go to my local food store because I had a feeling they get their meats pre trimmed.

Wow $3.99 for pork butt!! And I thought $1.54 was high! Guess I’d better count my blessings!

YEAH, tell me about it lol. This state sucks, everything’s expensive

• @twilliams said in No pork fat:

@s-a-m just use 50% wild game and 50% ground pork. You wont be disappointed, my opinion

Got the wrong guy I believe!

• Regular Contributors

@s-a-m yes i did, sorry

• @twilliams no prob 👍 it’s all good!

• Well I made the breakfast sausage anyways, just used the fat that was on the Boston butt. They don’t give much as they trim it down ahead of time.

Looks great, stuffed great, taste dry as hell and could of used more fat.

Looks like I need to move out of state to get some pork fat or start going on hog hunting trips I guess lol.

Anyways here’s some pictures!EF5E7BA7-FA4A-457D-A9D8-A46E206CDB47.jpeg

• @BobbyMac you could always raise a few it only takes 4 months if you start with a 40-50 lber.🐷

• @s-a-m said in No pork fat:

@BobbyMac you could always raise a few it only takes 4 months if you start with a 40-50 lber.🐷

Hahaha I wish I could!

• @BobbyMac I know what you mean! We’re thinking about raising a few this summer, just more work!!
    But the flavor is so much better 😁

• Regular Contributors

@BobbyMac you have absolutely no local butcher shops? And im not talking grocery stores

• @twilliams said in No pork fat:

@BobbyMac you have absolutely no local butcher shops? And im not talking grocery stores

He’s in new Jersey, doubt there’s many left in that state unless he gets out where the small truck farms are at.

• @twilliams That’s where I went, 3 local butchers and all said no but would give me beef fat for free.

My only option is to call a local deer butcher and ask where he gets it from or maybe can point me in the right direction.

• Power User

@BobbyMac Looks good! When in doubt, just add bacon!

• I started with beef fat because it was cheaper locally. I thought it had a stronger flavor and also felt like I had more fat out issues with beef than with pork. In my opinion, it’s worth the extra effort to get the pork fat.

• Go and ask for the meat manager at about any supermarket and have them order you a case of pork fat. They usually come in 40-50lb boxes. Keep it frozen and use ehen needed. Should be about 1 dollar or less per lb. Every store can order it by the case.

• Power User

@BobbyMac I use 50/50 ratio of venison/pork. I buy bonless pork butts from Restaurant Depot. I’d see if you have one around. They tend to leave a nice fat cap on them. If not I agree you should ask a supermarket or Costco type place to get you case, grind and freeze it.

• @BobbyMac said in No pork fat:

It seems butchers hoard pork fat here in NJ

LOL, it’s not that they are hoarding it, but rather they mix it into products they offer for sale within their meat cases. I have to depend upon Boston butts for my element of pork fat for most of my sausage making endeavors. I also use beef suet fat for certain mixes, and as fat into my deer burger mixes. In my burger mixes I also like lamb that contains a good amount of fat content.

Texas

• @s-a-m
    $3.99 for pork butt is outrageous we only pay under $2.00 a pound for it in Alaska

• @akdave Oh I know, it’s absolute robbery. That’s the price from ALL local butchers however it’s about $2.69 per pound from our food store. We try to support local business and small businesses as much as possible but sometimes we get tired of the higher prices too lol

Cheapest I’ve seen it this week

3C247E13-26D2-45C1-90A0-DE18BC435E3D.png

• @BobbyMac don’t know if you have Gordon food service/GFS over that way was just in my local store and butt was $1.69, bought whole 8-9lb. Pork loin from Kroger supermarket wasn’t looking for it but sale price was $1.49 today!!

• From what I’ve learned over the years, pork fat will take on the flavor of whatever you add it to. Beef fat will add a beef flavor to it. We’ve had to scramble for fat a time or two and depending on what we were making, it never has made enough difference to worry too much. Boston Butts are my go to in a pinch.

• Power User

@akdave I better not tell you guys what we charge at the shop for pork

• Walton's Employee

@BobbyMac I’m a fan of pork fat obviously but if it is that hard to find then I wouldn’t worry too much about it with venison or even elk or moose. 50/50’ing that is fine, not as good in my opinion but most people would say you don’t notice the difference that much and the upside is that you do end up witha lot more product. Pheasant, goose, and other bird (anyone ever make duck snack sticks?!) is where I think it becomes more important.

I’ve said ti a few times but your local Asian supermarket is usually a great resource for stuff like this!

• @Jonathon said in No pork fat:

@BobbyMac I’m a fan of pork fat obviously but if it is that hard to find then I wouldn’t worry too much about it with venison or even elk or moose. 50/50’ing that is fine, not as good in my opinion but most people would say you don’t notice the difference that much and the upside is that you do end up witha lot more product. Pheasant, goose, and other bird (anyone ever make duck snack sticks?!) is where I think it becomes more important.

I’ve said ti a few times but your local Asian supermarket is usually a great resource for stuff like this!

Thanks @Jonathon for the advice, unfortunately that’s what I’m using it for is Pheasant. I’m going to call a few more places and ask if they can order it for me

• Walton's Employee

@BobbyMac Seriously, try a local asian market, my butcher was out and I called them and they had some. Those places are generally gold mines.

• This is why there needs to be more information about the differences between butchers and meat cutters. Meat cutters (which I was for almost 7 years) open boxes and cut mostly pre-trimmed, subprimals into roasts and steaks. They mostly work with pre-ground products for burger and only the little bit of trim they produce from steaks and roasts is truly ground fresh in store. (I’m only commenting on things in the USA by the way, other countries can be very different.) These hardworking guys and gals make up the vast majority of what people mean when they say “butchers”. While the amount of knowledge they may have varies on the individual, they just don’t work with the same products or produce the same materials. Butchers (which I am now) on the other hand, work with primals, whole carcasses and even the living animals. Because they work at the beginning of the process, they often have access to all of the animal (in cases of plants where slaughtering is also done) or at least more bones, fat, offal and specialty cuts (like hanger steak ect.) then a meat cutter would. Often shops focused on retail direct to customers, do not have butchers, but meat cutters. If you are looking for fat (or anything else your local meat cutter can’t get for you) look for a USDA inspected butcher. Call and see if they can put some aside for you or even ask them which of their customers sell it. Especially, with smaller plants who do a lot of butchering for people that buy whole, 1/2, or 1/4 animals, there is usually a surplus of “by-products” like fat.

• Power User

@Deepwoodsbutcher That is excellent advice and information! We have more fat and hard to find stuff than we know what to do with at times. We make a lot of ‘food for pets’ with offal and trim and have also started saving some for bears! Next spring we will be donating to the WSU bear rehabilitation center.

• @Joe-Hell that’s great! And thank you.

• @Deepwoodsbutcher i like reading that. Someone that actually understands 🙂

• Walton's Employee

@Deepwoodsbutcher Good information and thanks for sharing!

• @lamurscrappy thank you

• I am able to find specials and get pork butt for 99 cents. Also found a butcher down the road who can provide pork fat for 50 cents a pound as they butcher every couple days.

Recent Posts

• S

Mexican Chorizo is one of my favorite sausages. I have been making it every year for the past three years. I have no idea what Walton’s mix is like, and I am absolutely certain it is awesome, but you can make it by hand. It is one of those things you put a lot of love into. It is mostly Guajillo peppers. I think it is like Mole, it is a very traditional, family type recipe.

I love your pictures. Even if it comes from a mix, the liquid looks the same as what I make!

I also learned to not stuff it. I did that the first year and we were cutting them open all the time. We eat the chorizo in tacos and breakfast burritos. It is so good!

Great job!

This past weekend I did 10 lbs of Spanish Chorizo which is hanging in my garage. Can’t wait until it is dried.

read more
  • N

@Jonathon I’m trying lol.

read more
  • @dwilk1 There are more factors than just the temperature when it comes to emulsification, though that certainly is one of them! What protein are you using? Is it straight beef, straight pork, a mix of the two? Just FYI I am visiting some meat processing plants tomorrow so I will do my best to respond but it might not be until Friday.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

18 users active right now (3 members and 15 guests).
kyle, srg158, Krautmacher, mosales, adamj, BigSteve, Ben W, hotkarl, Brianh, Tex_77, charlie, TGRANTCO, Njlungbuster, Retired RailRoader

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 11.6k posts in 1.8k topics.
We currently have 7.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, ggreen1.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.