No pork fat

• Team Orange

srg158 Interesting, id be better off buying a whole hog and doing the butchering myself lol.

So far I have still searched all around for a butcher or local Asian market to sell it to me and had no luck.

However I do have a restaurant depot that someone mentioned and I just need to purchase a membership. I could also find where the butcher get their meat from and cut the middle man out lol

• Team Orange

Hey guys just wanted to post a little update today, went to my local BJ’s wholesale club and they actually sell pork butts for $1.39 per pound. Nice and fatty too haha. I was trying to avoid going to the larger box retailers as I do like to support local business however for $3.99 per pound on pork butt just to use it for fat doesn’t make sense.

Thank you all for your input and I will let everyone know when I start another project. Thank you again!

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

BobbyMac Sometimes you can and sometimes you can’t support local businesses! In our opinion, it’s usually best to try but when there is a price disparity like that, you can’t ignore it!

• If you are going to use ground pork in this case, look for Regular (not lean or extra lean), which generally tops out at 30% fat content (in Canada); you may also find 50/50 labelled pork in some shops. Go with that if you find it, and calculate the amount you want for end product (I aim at 30% or so for most of mine). Good luck finding fatback or trimmings!

• If you are going to use ground pork in this case, look for Regular (not lean or extra lean), which generally tops out at 30% fat content (in Canada); you may also find 50/50 labelled pork in some shops. Go with that if you find it, and calculate the amount you want for end product (I aim at 30% or so for most of mine). Good luck finding fatback or trimmings!

• I am in L.A. of all places. I found a local butcher shop that processes wild game. They regularly order fatback so that they can make sausages for their customers. They wouldn’t sell what they had, but they would order for me from their source, just took a day or so to get. I think they charged me $3 lb but I use only 20% fat rather than 50% pork butt at similar prices. Plus I am trying to use my meat, not buy more meat that I don’t want or need.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

Big Game lol I just aked where you were from in another post. If you see this 1st no need to respond to that. We don’t have a ton of customers we have great relationships with in LA. I think Choice Meats was one I used to work with when I was in CS but they wouldn’t be able to do a bear.

• Thanks, that is good to know about Choice Meats. I do have a couple local butchers here but lately I process most things by myself when I can.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size