Low nitrate/nitrite alternatives

• Team Blue

I have a person asking me to make them low or no nitrate/nitrite jerky and snack sticks is there a good alternative to sure cure for this?

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Riley Renwick There is some information on cure free jerky out there, we don’t recommend it and if you do do it the meat should be treated as fresh meat in my mind, so that sort of makes it not jerky. Celery Juice Powder is recognized by the USDA as having curative properties but they don’t actually see it as a cure. Most of the time when you see “No Nitrates Added” Bacon or whatever, this is what they are using, when you look at the price you will see why that type of bacon is so much more expensive!

The thing is, those are still nitrites, same compound, just different sources. If someone eats celery, kale and a few other veggies all day they are consuming WAY more nitrites than the normal bacon-eating American!

If you are a business and are doing this for someone I urge you to get in touch with our customer service department at 800-835-2832 and if they can verify that you are a commercial processor they can get you in touch with your salesmen who will be a good resource for you, not just in this but in all processing questions.

• Team Blue

Jonathon Thank you for the info I am not a official business I process out of my house but am looking into getting state licensed. Thank you I love the seasonings and products you have.

• Team Orange

Riley Renwick I agree with everything Jonathon has said.

My brother also can not have any sort of nitrates as it triggers his epilepsy and his seizures, for years we thought it was the craziest thing but after having numerous testing they ruled foods that are “trigger” foods for him that he can not have. TONS of foods have nitrates that people don’t realize and they try to be healthy and say they don’t want nitrates, but like Jonathon said it’s in healthy foods too lol.

So what I do for him is just make a no cure jerky so he can enjoy some sort of jerky, basic ingredients and just smoke for a small amount of time then in the dehydrator. Self life is terrible though so I make small batches for him so it doesn’t spoil

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

23 users active right now (4 members and 19 guests).
Jay871, Jmac, erich52, BrentJ, khaberman, PapaSop, cdub2007

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.5k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, ABP62.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.