Increasing smoker capacity

• So I’m using a borrowed vertical smoker for now while making snack sticks. My first couple of batches were five pounds each because I was learning and I wanted to minimize the risk. I was surprised to find that this was also all I could get in the smoker.

It’s relatively small. It’s only got two racks but has room for a couple more. The owner lost them at some point. I’m wanting to try some bigger batches so I’m probably going to buy them replacement grates. However, that only gets me to about ten pounds. How can I get more capacity? I’ve seen some people hang them vertically. Does that hold more while still allowing the smoker to function well? I’m using 19mm casings so it looks like allot of wasted space between grates. Anyone ever purchase additional grates and space them up off the others with blocks of some sort? Any other suggestions? Inside dimensions of the smoker are 15wide by 12 deep and about 16” from the top grate position to some clearance from the water pan.
    Thanks.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Clint Hunter Hanging can give you more capacity depedning on your smoker, now, you already said it is a vertical so it is probably set up to hang instead of lay flat. You can just get untreated wooden dowels and use those as your smoke sticks, it is what a lot of people do. They are inexpensive to replace when you need to and do a good job. My recommendatin to you would be to measure how long of a strand you can hang and then cut each one individually. Looping them at the bottom looks cool but it comes at the cost of a lot of space, if you do a single string hang (over the smoke stick just once at the top) you can probably fit alot more than you might think!

• Masterbuilt

On the Masterbuilt, I added a shelf between each original shelf, used stainless steel diamond web to cover each shelf. I can do 10 lbs no problem but have found after the smoke session to remove the lower chip plug to allow more air into the unit, regulating air flow with the top damper works for me. !

image.jpg ![0_1579621639457_image.jpg](Uploading 12%)

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

Clint Hunter
    I added two pieces of angled aluminum close to the top. Notched the dowels so they don’t roll.
    IMG_20200121_152704-1344x756.jpg

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

20 users active right now (0 members and 20 guests).
pepper, Benjamminn

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.5k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, dankuno.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.