Leftover Meat from Last Hunting Season

• Admin

It’s middle of the summer and there’s not a lot going on for hunting season right now. But, if you are one of the guys that still has leftover meat in your freezer from last hunting season, here is a great way to use up that last bit of goose, duck, or other wild bird meat left in your freezer…

Goose Bratwursts

To the surprise of many people, yes, you can make great bratwursts out of goose meat, or other wild birds. It will help to have some extra fat and meat besides just the goose meat, so what we usually do is make it 50/50, 50% goose and 50% pork. By using a 50/50 combo of goose and pork, you will really help cover some of the wild game flavor from the goose meat, and the extra fat from the pork will add some extra flavor and moisture that the goose meat lacks by itself. If you really want to mask the goose flavor and make it taste as much like a normal brat as possible, try using a stronger seasoning flavor or something with a little spiciness to it. Some of my favorites are the Habanero & Mango Bratwurst Seasoning, Inferno Hot Bratwurst Seasoning, and Hot Buffalo Wing Bratwurst Seasoning. Don’t forget to add some High Temp Cheese as well!

So what are you waiting for? Clear out that freezer, make some goose bratwursts, and get ready for the next hunting season because it will be here before you know it!

What other unique ideas and meat products do you guys make with your wild game?

0_1468861352305_bratwursts.png
    0_1468861361422_bratwursts2.png

Process

Grind all meat twice through a 3/8" grinder plate
    Mix seasoning and water into meat until evenly dispersed
    Stuff sausage into 30mm Collagen Casings or 32/35mm Hog Casings
    Twist link or cut into links
    Throw them on the grill and enjoy your homemade goose brats!

How To Make Fresh Sausage

Fresh sausage is also one of the easiest and quickest meat products to make. But, if you need some help, check out our WaltonsTV video on How To Make Fresh Sausage, or, share your comments and questions with us below!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbfb8k95YCo

• Regular Contributors

I’ve started saving the trimmings from competition chicken thighs, is there any reason I couldn’t do the above but use chicken and pork? Or would you suggest something else? I just hated throwing it away, thanks.

• Admin

@Gomez
    That would absolutely work!
    We have made tons of brats from chicken breasts and chicken thighs and we love doing it!
    If you are happy with your lean to fat ratio, you don’t have to add pork, but you definitely can.
    For the goose brats, I recommend adding pork just to have at least some fat content in there and help reduce some of the “gamey” flavor you’ll get from goose.

If you give it a shot and have any other questions, let us know! And, be sure and let us know how it turns out too!

–Austin Walton

• Regular Contributors

What seasoning would you recommend for chicken?

• Admin

@Gomez
    I really like the Feta Cheese & Spinach!

The Supreme Pizza is also good and the Tomato Basil pairs with chicken really well.
    The Hot Buffalo Wing Brat is a pretty popular option for chicken brats too.

I really don’t think any of the flavors would be bad though.

• Walton's Employee

For Chicken Brats the Hot Buffalo wing is what we are using next time we make them, we are adding Hi-Temp Blue Cheese so I am very excited for that! However if you are looking for something I have already tried the Habanero Mango are great with chicken! Good heat from the Habanero without it being overpowering and the sweetness from the mango is excellent! Another good one for chicken if you don’t want any heat is the Feta and Spinach brat.

As far as adding any pork to it I do not do that, we make ours out of 100% breast and they come out great, I know you are talking about thighs but they have a little more fate than the breast so that should be great. make sure you grind twice though as grinding it only once is going to leave you with a very rough textured chicken brat!

• have made Goose Jerky for years, will be trying Goose Sausage soon!

• Got any suggestions of some thing can be done with cubed I have some fenacy eaters and they have figured of it not store bought

• Regular Contributors

The thought that immediately popped in my head was to make a Guinness Stew:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231751/guinness-irish-stew/

• going to the freezer to see whats left over now!

• Attended a sausage/brat making class at Walton’s last year. Great info.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.