Use and care of the Weston Jerky Slicer

• Regular Contributors

Jonathan or Austin ;
    I received a Weston Jerky Slicer for Christmas and I have a few questions…

1. The knives are starting to show signs of use, is there a way to sharpen them, or can they be replaced?
    2. Is there an efficient way to clean the blade assembly? I have been using one of the brushes from the stuffer cleaning kit, it’s cutting the bristles off as I use it and it takes forever to try to clean all the blades…
    3. Is it possible to get the cuber assembly without re buying the entire unit? (I believe I asked this before, but to my knowledge never received an answer).

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

raider2119 I wrote a fairly long response and then realized I was talking about a meat slicer and you were talking about either the Grinder-Cuber-Tenderizer or the Hand Crank Cuber

1. Yes, you can purchase replacement knife sets https://www.waltonsinc.com/jerky-slicer-blade-set but as for a way to sharpen them I don’t know of one.

2. The best thing I saw for how to quickly clean the blades was a guy using a dust pan hand broom with longer bristles and he just put it in a bowl of water and dragged that backward between the blades. It looked like it worked really well. I will see if we can get one out of stock and do a video on this.

3. It does not look like Weston sells the cuber separately, sorry! Which model do you have though?

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon
    Thanks for the reply, I have the single pedestal tenderizer. I will find a whisk broom and give that a try…

raider2119 I’ll still check for you with Weston, what model is it? It’s almost always better to ask, even if we think the answer will be a no!

• I have done my share of cleaning cubers professionally. They can be a pain. The most important thing you can do is to clean it right away. Second, soak it. Use something with a degreasser or protein remover. Dawn dish soap will work well (use the original blue formula). Use a fair amount without water and let it sit 30 minutes or so. Then spray it with water and let it soak in the saop and hot water another 30 minutes. If possible use a hose with a little pressure, if you don’t have one on your sink, use a garden hose. You can scrub it with a brush at this point. Rinse and sanitize. As a side note for the slicer, make sure you don’t let it saok where someone may reach in not knowing the sharp blades are in there. They are difficult to clean, but this is the best way I’ve found.

• Regular Contributors

Jonathon Sorry I did not reply sooner, but I spoke with Nina @ Weston just before you posted your response… They have no good method for cleaning the slicer, she suggested a broom, same as you did… As for the cuber, it uses the same base assembly, but are just different blades… I have not checked, but I assume since you have the slicer blades, you also have the cuber blades…

In the mean time, I have put a few dings into the slicer blades I have… I am going to attempt attaching a single blade chucked into either a dremmel tool, or something like it to spin the blade, then using a standard knife sharpener, attempt to sharpen / straighten the edge…

• Regular Contributors

Deepwoodsbutcher Thanks, I don’t have a high pressure spray, and I have found that even using your technique there are still grease smears or bits of meat that do not just wash off without being physically touched… I picked up a small kitchen scrub brush, the bristles are 1/2" longer than the radius of the blade, so I should be able to clean between the blades efficiently…

Question for you and Jonathon , is there a larger model jerky slicer that has a wider intake throat to make the 1/4" thick strips wider…

Also, I have been using eye of the round as well as london broil to make my beef jerky… I have been cutting so that my strips are across the grain making them more tender… I was just wondering about your thoughts about using the entire round, or using a peeled knuckle to get more longer meat strips, but still cutting across the grain before slicing in the jerky slicer…

raider2119 There are a few options for this but they are full dedicated commercial pieces of equipment that start over $10,000. The only other piece of equipment I can think of is the Pro-Cut Tenderizer with the Fajita Cut and you’d be about $1,700 with that and the attachment…plus I would have to do some testing to make sure the fajita cutter would work well for jerky. I’d think it would but it would have to be tested.

raider2119 Also, I have no issue with using the entire round, just make sure you trim it well of any fat. Same goes for the peeled knuckle which shouldn’t require much trimming and has about the same amount of intramuscular fat as the eye of the round so it will work nicely.

• raider2119 all cuts of round are ideal for jerky. Keep in mind though that the knuckle contains some more silverskin and connective tissue then the other cuts. It is more work than any of the other muscles from the round and requires a little more skill to trim up without being wasteful. As far as cleaning your blades, there is only so much you can do there, which is why it’s important to use a sanitizer after cleaning. You can try a commercial cleaner with protein remover or block white. Follow the label instructions if you try either of these.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

21 users active right now (2 members and 19 guests).
johnsbrewhouse, letmefly, AllanF, johngodwin

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.6k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.5k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, roneder.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.