Jerky and Sure Cure

• If I am going to tumble my meat and seasoning for 15 minutes the immediately put in dehydrator, is it safe to still add sure cure? Would you also add Sodium Erythorbate if adding sure cure as do not want to add ECA and have the tang with jerky.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Waynegus Nope, no need for a cure accelerator when tumbling jerky. It allows the cure to penetrate as you are tumbling so you are good to go! Though I would recommend that you quickly cook it to 160° before going to the dehydrator for safety. Heat needs some moisture to kill bacteria and if it gets too dry too quickly you wont be able to kill it.

• Hi Jonathon, what drying temps and cycles do you recommend for whole muscle jerky strips cooked quickly to 160 degrees and then dehydrated? I’m interested in this method, but noticed most of the recipes on here are dried very low and then brought to 160 at the end. My custom dehydrator can range up to 200 degrees and be vented/closed so it’s fairly flexible.

Amiel Leblanc If you are wanting to cook up to 160 and then dehydrate I’d recommend that you cook quickly and I would then say move the dehydrator set at full until you have achieved 50% loss. However, with a dehydrator capable of going to 200 I’d recommend you stick with this :
    130F for 1 hour (open damper on smoker)
    145F for 2 hours (2/3 closed damper on smoker)
    175F until internal meat temp of 160F

So turn on the dehydrator fan full for 1st stage and then medium for 2nd? Sorry I am working this out in my head. You’ll achieve the drying no question, so I would recommend just leaving dehydrator on full for all 3 cycles.

Joe Hell BNack in december your posted “You can throw the marinated meat in a zip loc or preferably a vacuum sealed bag and ‘knead’ it by hand for 10-20 minutes and then rest overnight, flipping on occasion. I will use my Weston racks over a covered sheet pan to cook the jerky to 160 in a 350 degree oven quickly then finish in the dehydrator set to 160.” How long did you leave it in the dehydrator and at what setting?

• Team Blue

Jonathon I run my dehydrator at 160 for the duration. I have found that after loading it up that the temp drops significantly and takes about 4-5 hours depending on the temp of my house (or the meat shop) that just about the time it climbs back to 155-160 that the jerky is done. I prefer a softer jerky so depending on how dry you like it you could be looking at another hour or two. Once I hit my preferred state I will then cut the heat and allow the fans to bring it down to room temp for approx 30 minutes. After that I will just let it hang out for a few hours before bagging and refrigerating.

Joe Hell Thanks man!

• Jonathon Thanks, we’re going to try this method today and compare to my usual “160 degrees until it’s done”, I’ll let you know how it goes. How much vacuum pressure is normally used to tumble the meat? I’m wondering if my cabela’s vac sealer has enough power to make a difference in the marinading process.

Amiel Leblanc When we tumble meat for jerky with our KMV Tumbler we generally stop it when it reaches -23 inHG which is -11 psi. If it can come close to that you should be good.

• Thanks everyone. Tumbler arrives tomorrow so looking forward to see the difference it will make over bagging and resting 24 hours.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

10 users active right now (1 members and 9 guests).
Pat woodworth II, Alin

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Alin.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.