Loose casings on snack sticks

• I’ve made 2 5lb batches of snack sticks and on both batches the collagen casing is loose. I use 1/2 cup of carrot fiber, 1 1/2 cup of water, I get good protein extraction in the mixing process. I water bath for 20 mins. after smoking, hang dry for an hour then cut to size, vacuum seal and freeze. When I open a package and enjoy one the flavor is great but the meat wants to slide out of casing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Power User

cgreen is your water bath, a ice water bath? The colder the better. After water bath and dry i put into refrigerator until next day before cutting to size and freezing

• Thanks you.Yes water is ice cold. I was wondering about trying to dry them longer before sealing and freezing. When I unthaw a package there seems to be moisture in the bag, about a spoonful. I have also read about putting them in a paper bag in the fridge to absorb moisture. Any thoughts.

• PK100 Masterbuilt Big Green Egg

I think twilliams has got it on the drying overnight in fridge before packaging advice. Trapped moisture will loosen casings, especially if you are getting ~spoonful of liquid out of the bag.

• I have run into the same situation and I can’t speak for you’re procedure but I think I failed to allow the sticks to warm up properly after being refrigerated overnight before I vacuumed packed them and popped them in the freezer…just that little bit of moisture is brought to the surface causing the collagen casing to come lose just a enough to be annoying …and it didn’t occur on all…? Perhaps another half hour at ambient room temp and I wouldn’t have experienced it at all…I’ll be making another batch as soon as I get a little more high temp cheese…

• Thanks everybody for your advice. I’m going to increase drying time on future batches.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

cgreen You might want to increase your water too. 1.5 cups for 25 lb batch is pretty low, especially when using carrot fiber. I’d recommend you use at least 1 qt, probably 1…5 - 2 would be better. Also, make sure you stuff it a little more fully than you were!

• Power User

Jonathon he is saying two 5lb batches not 25 lb

• I actually had to read this twice to make sure it wasn’t my post as I had the exact same experience. However, I dried the second batch in the fridge over night and packaged the next day. Big Improvement! I know everyone has already come to this conclusion but I wanted to give you some confidence in the solution working.

• I appreciate everyones words of wisdom.
    Thanks

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).
BRagland1

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 19.9k posts in 2.3k topics.
We currently have 10.0k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, zuzip159.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.