Encapsulated citric acid

• Hello everyone,
    I just purchased some summer sausage mix and snack stick mix, we are going to make our products this weekend. I noticed on the packaging that sodium erythorbate is in some of the seasoning premixed. My understanding is that this is a cure accelerator. My question is, is it OK to still add encapsulated citric acid to this? secondly on summer sausage do you have to add a binder or can you make it without ? Lastly on one of the seasonings packages and ingredient is citric acid, so do I still need to add encapsulated citric acid to that particular mix or not ? thanks in advance for the several questions I have. Just FYI my seasonings are Excalibur from Waltons

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

jblandford if the one you got was Ton’s or like Ton’s you are good to use ECA as well. Binder helps give you a better finished product, more consistency with a better bind but it is absolutely not necessary. I always recommend that people use a binder when making wild game sausage or if they are having texture or fat content issues but even then, it can be made without it, just make sure you mix until you have lots of protein extraction.

Yes, still add the ECA, the amount of citric acid in the seasoning already won’t be enough to speed the cure and probably won’t give you the tang you are wanting. Actually, we should cover that, you ARE wanting a tang in your product right? If not, then don’t use the ECA!

Let us know if you have any else!

• Thanks Jonathon , yes I am looking for the “tang”, thanks for answering all my questions I will update yall with how it turns out !!!

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

jblandford Thanks for the business and as always, payment is simply some pics!

• Jonathon EAB73906-0E64-422C-A42D-27EFCB7435DF.jpeg
    Thanks again Jon, they turned out fantastic

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

11 users active right now (0 members and 11 guests).
rich

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jayhawk8146.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.