Forgot to add cure to Summer Sausage

• Team Orange

I made 10 lbs of H summer sausage. Forgot to add sure cure. 14 hrs smoking. Did i just make dog food or is there a way to make safe for human consumption

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

DeerSlayer Safe answer is toss it but that might be a little over careful. What you have there is really just cooked pork, it won’t have the same taste, texture or color as regular summer sausage but by cooking it to 160° you should have killed anything we are wary of. NOW, there IS the possibility that some pathogen in there created a toxin that won’t be killed at 160° so if you are going to keep it, eat a very small amount first and if there is any off flavor spit it out and toss. Then if you feel fine 24 hours later you can determine if you are keeping it. Don’t feed any to the very young or very old for sure.

This also assumes it was beef or pork, if it’s wild game 100% toss it, sorry!

DeerSlayer And don’t think you’re the only one who has ever done that!

• Team Orange

its 60% deer 40% pork butt . So looks like I will freeze it and feed little by little to dog
    100 lb German Shepherd… don’t think it will her her as she chews on deer legs that are weeks old without issue

DeerSlayer Yeah, that’s your best bet then! As a quick aside, I have 2 large dogs, one a Mastiff Pitbull and the other a straight Mastiff. I tried to give them these huge smoked cow bones from a processor up in Nebraska. The only time I have ever been truly scared of my mastiff, he was standing over it and anytime I came within 2 feet he would look straight down and snarl/growl if I came close. I got down on the floor trying to make eye contact with him and he WOULDN’T look me in the eye, I think because he knew that would mean he couldn’t growl anymore. Anyway, I had to throw a piece of chicken in the air and snatch his bone from him real fast. As he was going for the chicken i tossed he realized what I was doing and gave me a look of such utter betrayal! Anyway, safe to say he never got that bone again! If they can’t deal with me taking it right out of their mouths they can’t have it!

• Team Blue

Jonathon I had a Husky/Collie that if you caught him stealing food he would actually spit it out if you told him to drop it. Most dogs just eat it faster at that point.

FE919F28-426C-42C9-BE16-FC3E4CD4154E.jpeg

Joe Hell Looks like a good boy!

• DeerSlayer
    I have some old Mennonite recipes -70 plus years old) that required the meat to be stuffed in homemade muslin jockers. After stuffing the jockers were fermented and subsequently cured after the fact
    . But it sounds like you have already cooked these.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

17 users active right now (0 members and 17 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.4k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, djsisson.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.