smoking summer sausage vertical vs. horizontal

• does it make a different on smoking summer sausage should i hang it vertical or horizontal i was told that i should do it vertical but have not seen a difference in my summer sausage ether method i cook all my summer sausage by the Walton’s recommended time and temp. is there a certain way i should be smoking them? they always come out tasting good.

• Admin

@KARLHEIDOLPH
    It shouldn’t matter from a taste aspect if you cook summer sausage vertical and hang it, or lay it on racks and cook horizontally. Typically, hanging is recommended because it can make the final appearance look better. Laying it horizontally can leave one side with a slightly flattened appearance. Either method will cook fine though and should end up with the same tasting product.

• thank you for the reply i didn’t think it made a difference. so how do you get the dark reddish ring around the out side of the summer sausage or is that just ageing of the sausage or is it smoke that makes the dark red around to the out side of the sausage. the last time i had summer sausage made the outer quarter inch was dark red and the middle was the normal pink color. how can i get that color in my summer sausage.

• Admin

@KARLHEIDOLPH
    If the ring is about 1/4" and no further, it could just be smoke. That is about the limit of smoke penetration in smoked meats. Could also be a combination of a higher temp and being dried out a bit. Do you notice the outside having a “crust” or “rind” or that outer portion being dryer in texture and mouth-feel when eating? If there is a rind on the outside of the sausage it’s probably due to heat and dryness. Otherwise my other initial best guess is a quick absorption of a lot of smoke.

• Meat will only take on smoke flavor until it reaches 100 degrees. After that it does not penetrate but it will leave a darker color in the meat, usually a ring.As far as hanging or laying the sausage, I always hang mine because I can get more in my smoker that way and it seems to cook a little more even but the flavor seems the same either way. WR in Missouri

• @KARLHEIDOLPH How long are you letting the stuffed cases set before you smoke? Try about 30 hours in the refrigerator. What temp is your sausage when you start smoking them ? Try to get to 34 or 36 degrees. Lower and raising your smoke amount and duration during the smoking process. This is also a factor. Fat Content is way important to smoke penetration. Some thing to also think about is if the meat gets dehydrated it will turn the a reddish color causing a rind to form. It might look like a smoke ring this is caused by constant high heat drying the product out. If this happens add a steam pot and adjust your temps. hope this helps.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.