Stuffing the next day?

• Keeping already ground and seasoned sausage mixture covered and in the refrigerator overnight and then waiting until the next day to run it through the stuffer? Is this a dumb thing to do? If it is an accepted practice what should I know before I do this? Do I add anything now or on the stuffing day?

• Team Blue

Choripan1 If you are talking fresh sausage it will be just fine. I prefer that as it gives times for the flavors to meld. Smoked snack sticks or summer sausage (depending on case size) would be very difficult to stuff after an extended rest.

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

Choripan1
    As Joe Hell said. Anything I’m going to smoke gets stuffed first.

• Team Blue

Choripan1 My last elk wore me out before getting it stuffed and was left in the frig overnight before stuffing. I put about 1/2-3/4 cup of cold water in it and mixed it in by hand. (about 30# in each tub) That help “slick” it up and it stuffed fine. Did links first then the summer sausage. It did shrink ever so slightly but is great. Like Papa said, it is better to stuff right after grinding. Saves a lot of elbow grease.

• Team Blue

Snack stick seasoned meat gets really sticky the longer that it sets and could be really tough on your stuffer to push that stuff through the smoker the next day. As others have said, the fresh sausage or even summer sausage would probably be OK. But, trying to push that sticky mix into snack stick casings would be a bear.

I really like to stuff all of my sticks and sausage right after grinding/mixing and then let hang overnight which allows the casings to dry out a bit prior to going in the smoker.

Obviously if you use the encapsulated citric acid, you need to stuff and smoke pretty quickly or the ECA will burst and mess up your batch.

Last weekend, we did grind up 250 lbs of meat on Friday night and let it set (covered) in our garage (nice and cool in ND), then mixed and stuffed the next day.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

16 users active right now (1 members and 15 guests).
55 chevy, Joe Hell, allen

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.6k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, drbrown35801.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.