Skin sausage

• Any one out there that can help me with this… Help a German family make this along time ago. Would use their sausage mix and boil the skin, grind it and mix together. Then they would stuff it, but can’t remember what the percent or ratio they use.

• Generally I use a collagen extraction including skin in my pressure cooker. Then I incorporate the cooled gelatin to approx 10% of meat weight and grind cooled rendered skin up to 20% of meat weight in my German Garlic Coils.

• Ray, we took a class the other day and made an Italian style sausage at a butcher shop. they used skin in the recipe, but it was a pretty small percentage. Here is the recipe for “Fennel Sausage”
    3lbs lean pork trim (butt/shoulder)
    1lb pork fat
    1/3lb pork skin (ground on the finest grinding plate)
    25 grams of salt
    3 grams cure #1
    1 large yellow onion
    7 grams black peppercorns
    4 grams Anise seed
    6 grams fennel seed
    10 grams fresh oregano
    10 grams garlic
    30 grams white wine

we’ve cooked these a couple of times and I find them really fatty - burned a batch on my grill the other night and had to toss them and grill another batch. So I would cut back on the fat next time around myself.

• ClaytonD Thanks

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size