New Groups to Help Everyone on Smokers

• I did use the salt box method and it appears that was the mistake next time I will weigh and measure. I do see where it says 2 oz per 5 pounds but it also said if you use salt box method there was no need to measure. That seems not to work well and I will be the first to not recommended that to anyone. Lesson learned

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

samc We have all been there for sure, I have FINISHED stuffing snack sticks before and then realized I never added cure! Luckily everything had kept super cold so I just cut the casings, added the cure, remixed and restuffed. Now everything is double-checked when I think I am done with mixing!

TexLaw Thanks for checking in on that! As we get more into charcuterie I’ll be wanting some books (and HOPEFULLY attending a short course at Iowa State…I can’t emphasize how badly I want to do that, if you are reading this Austin ) is that a good one?

• PK100 Masterbuilt Big Green Egg

Charcuterie and Salumi by Ruhlman are both books that started my journey into cured and smoked meats. Highly recommend for entry level.

• Jonathon I use a pit boss series 5

• Team Blue

skibumben Those are the meatiest of bibles!

• smokin greg i have a diy stainless cafeteria hot holding box . Was having same problem long time getting it up to temp. I converted it to 240 Volt and have two 2100 watt burners in it and a separate 110 volt burner to produce the smoke because the 2100 colt burners run off of a thermostat and dont stay on long enough to produce a good steady smoke.

• PK100

Jonathon I actually haven’t finished (or even gotten very far into) it, yet. I just happened to pick it up a couple of days before the question came up.

Judging by the other reviews and the fact that the other Ruhlman books I’ve read have been terrific, I expect this one is one everyone ought to have on the shelf.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

22 users active right now (2 members and 20 guests).
Jonathon, JLeinard, hamboner

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.5k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, Dlarson360.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.