New Groups to Help Everyone on Smokers

• Team Orange

So are we just thinking about creating the smoker groups, or have they actually been created yet?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

IndianaJohn I have created a PK and a Masterbuilt group so far. I will work on getting a Homebuilt, Big Green Egg, American BBQ System, Weber, Traeger, Green Mountain, Rec Tec, Kamado Joes for brands.
    &
    Eventually we will have Verticle, Pellet, Trailer, Bullet, Offset, and whatever else people want.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide

Jonathon What no love for Primo’s or PK Grills?

I’ll get 'em added!

Jonathon I think NDKoze had the best best Idea, with his categories, is it possible to create sub groups within groups for specific brands of cookers?

If anyone has a pic of a smoker that fits one of the created categories upload it and I will get it set as the cover photo for that group.

Tex_77 I will look into the possibilities of subgroups

Jonathon Refer to the grill thread for pictures of a PK360 and Primo Jack Daniels XL

• Team Orange

@Masterbuilt Thanks for creating the smoker groups. Bought Masterbuilt Pro, and plan to use it for the first time this weekend for making snack sticks. I’m putting together slotted side pieces for the dowels to sit in.

• Team Orange

Jonathon I joined the Masterbuilt group a while ago. Made my first comment from here (New Groups to Help Everyone on Smokers). I’m wondering if we should be able to make new comments/posts or replies from directly within the Masterbuilt group while reading the comments (I don’t see any way to do that - but maybe I’m not supposed to), I’m new to “Groups” on this site. Thanks.

• Team Orange

Jonathon - Please ignore my previous post about how groups work. I should have looked for Frequently Asked Questions and how to use Meatgistics first. I just read the FAQ, and believe I now understand how everything works (groups are just to identify and notify everyone in a particular group when you make a post you want everyone in that group to see it). Thanks!

IndianaJohn It is an interesting idea though. If there was a way to go to the group and see posts that the group page you are on had been mentioned (@) in a thread. I’m not sure how…oh, it actually does that I think! If you guys see some weird stuff posted on other threads it is just me testing some stuff!

Okay, I tested it and I think that is how it will work. IndianaJohn let me know if that is not what you are talking about and if it is something we can do, we will try to get it done! Groups are new to everyone, before a few weeks ago we only have the Employee, admin, regular contributor, and power user groups. I wasn’t 100% sure how they would work but I think it will be nice in the end!

• Team Orange

Jonathon @Masterbuilt - Yes, if I maneuver directly to the Masterbuilt Group page, I can see who all of the other members of the group are, and I can see all of the comments that have been made or posted to the Masterbuilt group (even though their comment/post was actually made while the user was elsewhere on the site where a comment box was available to them). The part I was wondering about, was having the ability to read and respond to comments from others while I am physically on the Masterbuilt group page. If I see an interesting comment or post that I might want to respond to, I have to maneuver away from the Masterbuilt group page, back to a different page that has a comment box I can use to respond to the individual or the group. Does that make sense, or is it possible? To make comments while I am on the group page? Thanks.

• Team Blue

Jonathon I just waited over 3 months for Masterbuilt to replace a warranty ridden MB40 only to have the replacement arrive damaged from FedEx. It took 3 months to get the first one fixed and a few months later it completely malfunctioned and fried about 8 racks of ribs in a matter of minutes. I even had the owner of the company’s son reach out and offer help and then he just quit communicating entirely. I am beyond fed up with Masterbuilt.

• Team Blue

I used to have a custom designed & custom built combination vertical/reverse flow horizontal from Pitts & Spits when we lived in Texas. I designed the thing for the most part with help from Pits & Spits & they built it. When I got transferred to Alabama we ended up having to leave it in Texas as at the last minute the buyers decided they wanted it. Margaret really ragged me about that & I felt it, then salt for the wound was I found out years later that it turned out that the basic design ended up being one of their top sellers. Life in the Big City. There was no way I could afford one of those like what I had years later after the transfer. So, for the longest time I used a “Hole in the Ground” that my two sons helped me dig. We could do some really, really, good stuff with that & we could really ruin some stuff. They bought me one of those basic Brinkman smokers after several years of “God only knows how it will be” & I still have it believe it or not after extensive use over 15 years later. I am really working to keep it going, but I really like stick burners. I also have a Smoke Hollow Pro 40 that I like a lot & it is easy to use & reliable. I did have some problems (similar to Joe’s) & initially warranty service was a joke, but they eventually got it right (it took longer than Joe) & I am very satisfied. I think they were going through some corporate merger issues based on what I could see with e-mails, etc. I would love to figure out a way to get another super high quality built for life reverse flow stick burners like a Mart Gallahger, Lane, or somebody & be able to afford it. However, that is a big wish list!

• Team Blue

I have the Masterbuilt 20077515 model. 30" with the digital display up front by the door. It has the glass door but it’s hard to see inside when smoking. Never had a problem with it.

• Team Blue

Randyman I’ve had 3 of the 30" models fail on me and 2 of the 40". They work just fine…until they don’t.

• Team Blue

Joe, What problems were you having with yours? Mine Smoke Hollow Pro 40 (same as Masterbuilt 40)initially was all beat up I want to say by delivery service, but it could have been packed that way as there really was not a lot of damage to the box. The smoke chamber was beat up, the door hinge bent, & I think some other things that I fixed. Eventually after what must have been six months & what must have been the fourth person & second supervisor I got someone that was really, really good & she had good common sense too. Then the burner started not putting out sometimes. At first I thought it was the humidity & they tried to say the temperature, but it had worked fine in colder temps. She took care of that too, that is the fourth person. It works good now & I like it. I am satisfied with them once we got things right & as I said earlier, I think they were going through some corporate changes as the e-mail addresses & phone numbers changed. I still do wish I could get me another real good stick burner like I had before. That was nice. The only down side to it like my Dad used to say, was when I fired it up, you better be ready for Compton’s Army to come for dinner. I wonder about those Komodo grills too. Maybe that would be a more efficient & down to size stick burner.

Austin is what IndianaJohn wants possible? I don’t see a way to do it. When you get back and we are done with the Livestream we should talk more about groups. Joe Hell Sorry they are being tough, odd that the son would cut off communication with you. Hopefully, that gets fixed for you. I don’t think it should matter but you migth point out you have a blog on a site with a large community of people who love to smoke all sorts of food?

• Team Orange

smokin greg I also built a smoker from a commercial refrigerator. I used a large electric stove burner in the bottom. It heats it with ease and it would be easy to add other if necessary.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size