Smoked Meat Stabilizer, Sure Cure, ECA

• Smoked Meat Stabalizer and Sure Cure?

I was wondering if I use SMS do I still use Sure Cure, and can I use ECA in conjunction with either of these product, or is ECA a cure or flavor additive? Sorry I am lost.

• Sorry I forgot to mention I am making snack sticks out of Elk and Pork fat, using the Habanero BBQ seasoning with carrot fiber.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

ilxlr8u Yes, you would use sure cure and smoked meat stabilizer together. The accelerator speeds up the conversion of nitrite to nitric oxide so it doesn’t need to spend 12 hours doing that. Without sure cure it wouldn’t have anything to accelerate, it would lower pH and slightly extend the shelf life but wouldn’t help too much.

• Team Orange

Jonathon. I just made 50 lbs of snack sticks this weekend. Our first attempt, but we went for it. We used ECA and cure on Saturday. We got 20 lbs cooked on Saturday and the other 30 lbs cooked 24 hours later, after adding the ECA. It still taste great. Are there any concerns eating it? I never thought of it until I saw an earlier post suggesting not to do it the day before.

eimalicious Nah, no worries on eating it. Your biggest concern with not cooking something with ECA right away is if it ruptured it will denature the proteins early and give you a dry and crumbly product. ECA lowers the pH so it actually makes your product more shelf-stable.

• Jonathon,
    On the ECA subject, I’m ready to mix up some sweet lebanon bologna. ECS will be last add in b4 stuffing. But how do I introduce the ECS just sprinkle around the best I can or should it be mixed with water b4 adding the meat mixture. Thanks for any advice on this.

• Jonathon said in Smoked Meat Stabilizer, Sure Cure, ECA:

ilxlr8u Yes, you would use sure cure and smoked meat stabilizer together. The accelerator speeds up the conversion of nitrite to nitric oxide so it doesn’t need to spend 12 hours doing that. Without sure cure it wouldn’t have anything to accelerate, it would lower pH and slightly extend the shelf life but wouldn’t help too much.

5BADDAYS the ECS is ECA right? And yes, I like to just sprinkle it on as the mixer is running, it shouldn’t be take more than just a couple of seconds to get it all in there and then let it mix for another 60 seconds or so. You do want to be careful not to drop it down the sides of the mixer though as there is a possibility of it getting trapped in a pocket at the bottom where it will not get mixed in well, so make sure you are sprinkling it in on the top of the meat.

• Jonathon,
    Thanks for response, and the great tips re down the side of mixer. I never would have thought of that.
    Thanks
    5BD’s

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

25 users active right now (6 members and 19 guests).
ETHURM, Dojo, Eric1, Tex_77, FireHorse, mikemikemike, kathy cross, glen, kyle, Herb Manifold, Chef

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 20.1k posts in 2.3k topics.
We currently have 10.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, dotorcymar.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.