Hog Jowls Indeed!

• I have a recipe for Buenos Aires style chorizos, the kind I like more than anything (almost). They are not the same as other Argentine chorizos, and the recipe calls for pork jowls. My butcher can get them for me if I order a 10 lb. box of the damned things which wouldn’t even begin to fit in my freezer.

Does anybody have a suggestion for an appropriate substitute?

• Team Blue

Choripan1 I’d think just about anything with a similar fat content would work. Belly or pork collar perhaps? I’ve got ample access to jowl…care to share the recipe?

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Choripan1 You won’t find a perfect replacement but Joe is right, the most important thing is to try to mirror the fat content, especially in something like chorizo that is so fat-centric. Belly would seem like the best idea I can come up with.

• Joe Hell Hi Joe, and thanks for the guidance. I lived in Buenos Aires for a while and have eaten thousands of choripanes sandwiches and I’ve come close to duplicating the right recipe here in Chicago. Thanks to a friend down there, here is a recipe he thinks is what I should use. He does and says it is pure authentic: 500 g beef, 500g pork shoulder180g pork jowls (I’ll use belly), 3tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. oregano1 clove of minced garlic, 1/3 c. red (sweet) vermouth. Put meats through the medium plate, add the spices and vermouth and mix. to primary bind. Chill mixture and run it a second time through the medium plate, stuff, pan fry or grill, serve on a french roll or bread with chimmichurri sauce.

• Jonathon Hi Johathan. Thanks for the guidance. between you and Joe I’ll be making sausage in my sleep!

• Team Blue

Choripan1 Thank you! I’ll give that one a shot. I just picked up some Vermouth for cocktails that I need to use up so this will be a perfect excuse!

• Joe, as long as you have a fresh supply, take 1 part red vermouth, 2 parts good 100 proof rye, stir on the rocks with a dash of bitters. It does not improve my sausage making but it does improve my mood!

• Jonathon I had no idea that the sausage making guild was so friendly! I am not an experienced sausage maker by any means and the suggestions and guidance from you, and Joe, are treasured. While on the topic, do you make merguez, and if so do you have a good recipe? I’ve got lots of north african/middle eastern ingredients but never had, or made, merguez.

• Team Blue

Choripan1 I’ve got all of that and had that exact intention as soon as I get home!

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Choripan1 Merguez is not something I’d be able to assist with, I have never made it and don’t even have access to a commercial formulation for you on it. I know it’s a fresh sausage though so a few quick tips would be grind twice through 3/8 twice or once through 3/8 and once through 3/16th, don’t overmix it, cook it at med to high temps and use either natural hog/sheep or fresh collagen casings.

• Team Blue

Choripan1 I regularly make Merguez at the shop that is loosely based on a recipe I found in a book. The proportions in the book made an unreasonably salty product in my opinion. I use a Harissa seasoning based on their recipe but about 1/4th of what they call for. When I get a chance I will try to post the recipe.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

22 users active right now (1 members and 21 guests).
rich, mater

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.5k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jameslee2.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.