Too much cure? Maybe?

• So I’m making a pastrami with a 12 pound brisket and edit in 6 pounds of short ribs. In my wet brine I followed the instructions of a half a cup of insecure to a gallon of water so I used 3/4 of a cup of insecure to a gallon and a half of water for 18 pounds of meat
    When I was done I realized are used the amount of cure for bacon or ham. The normal where I make this is with my teaspoon of cure in my dry rub and I let it sit for 7 to 10 days. Now that I’ve made the brain it seems that I may have excessively used to much insecure for my eight dayWet brine. So my question is everything else being equal I did follow the equal amounts of sugar and salt with my gallon of liquid and my half a cup of cure but I want to make sure that I didn’t exceed this. I know when I’m done I’m going to take the meat out of the brine and let it soak for 12 hours in water and probably make four or five rinses To leech out any saltiness. I put this in the fridge raider last night so it’s only been going for 12 hours. I hope I didn’t ruin my meat. With too much cure. What are your thoughts

• URGENT 911 Too much cure? Maybe?
    S SCVDadCooks about an hour ago

So I’m making a pastrami with a 12 pound brisket and edit in 6 pounds of short ribs. In my wet brine I followed the instructions of a half a cup of insecure to a gallon of water so I used 3/4 of a cup of insecure to a gallon and a half of water for 18 pounds of meat
    When I was done I realized are used the amount of cure for bacon or ham. The normal where I make this is with my teaspoon of cure in my dry rub and I let it sit for 7 to 10 days. Now that I’ve made the brain it seems that I may have excessively used to much insecure for my eight dayWet brine. So my question is everything else being equal I did follow the equal amounts of sugar and salt with my gallon of liquid and my half a cup of cure but I want to make sure that I didn’t exceed this. I know when I’m done I’m going to take the meat out of the brine and let it soak for 12 hours in water and probably make four or five rinses To leech out any saltiness. I put this in the fridge raider last night so it’s only been going for 12 hours. I hope I didn’t ruin my meat. With too much cure. What are your thoughts

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

SCVDadCooks How long has it been in the brine? Can you pull it out and start with your normal process? That seems the best thing to do in my mind. If not then you do run a small risk of ingesting too many nitrites. It’s unlikely as nitrite poisoning is very uncommon and really doesn’t effect anyone in good health too badly BUT always better safe than sorry and I don’t rinsing/soaking it would do anything. The nitrite in the cure has already transfered to nitric oxide.

• If you used 3/4 cup of insta cure #1 you have probably made the meat unfit and unsafe for human consumption. With 18 pounds of meat and adding 3783 grams of water your amount of insta cure #1 would only be 30 grams of cure and your 3/4 cup would be 216 grams. You have added almost 10 times the USDA recommended maximum nitrites. Lethal doses of nitrites start at 4 grams and you used almost 60 times that amount. That is why cure is used at 1/4% to weight of meat, primary reason nitrite poisoning is uncommon in the food industry.

• I’m still not getting my original question answered. I’m going to try understanding this a different way. On the outside of the package of insecure there are instructions that state to a gallon of water add a half a cup of cure and spices to make a brine. Since this is what I was looking at when trying to cure my meat in the above two questions, when would you use this ratio of cure?

I do understand that the 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of meat and that is what I’ve always used but please explain the above question. Thank you very much.

• SCVDadCooks I have to ask is your product Insta Cure or insecure? If it is Insta Cure I make a brine for 16 pounds of meat and 1 gallon of water with 248 grams salt and 27.5 grams Insta Cure. That is about 4-1/2 teaspoons. I am at work right now so I don’t have weights to determine the 1/2 cup quantity. I do know Insta Cure is 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite.

• SCVDadCooks Short answer, you have used the amount of Insta cure to brine 85 pounds of meat in 5 gallons of water.

Our product is Sure Cure which is also 6.25% Sodium Nitrite and the rest is salt. 1 oz of sure cure us enough to cure 25 lb of meat. I’m pretty sure it is the same with insta cure. It is also called Cure #1 Prague Powder, Pink Salts and a few other things.

• Jonathon that is why I think his brine is way over on cure. 3/4 cup of cure has 36 teaspoons of cure, which is approx. 216 grams. Going by what you say this is enough cure to dry cure 190 pounds of product or wet brine 150 pounds of meat in 5 gallons of water. This is primarily why I believe if people are going to dry cure and age meat, they need to throw away the volumetric measures (teaspoons and cups) and buy a good set of scales and learn percentage measures. This gets rid of if I only have 18 pounds of meat, now I have to eyeball 2/5 teaspoon cure to get 3-2/5ths teaspoons cure. Percentage measure: 25# meat would be 28.3 grams cure and when I only have 18# meat now I add 20.4 grams cure. Another huge advantage you will never over salt your product once you find the percentage salt to your tastes. This is my opinion only, but since I learned ratio measures from a custom butcher 20 years ago, teaspoons and cups should not be used in the sausage, cured and dry cured hobby.

• Team Blue

Unionguy1019 I do everything in grams…sooo much easier. Cured meats aside, when I am formulating a fresh brat recipe I will start with 500 grams of pork and 10 grams of salt as a base. I’ll weigh out the seasonings I plan on using and write everything down. Once the recipe is finalized I simply multiply by 10 to make a larger batch which equals out to about 11 lbs of meat. Just add a zero to the measurements and you are good to go for the larger batch.

• Hey everybody I know the ratio for curing the meet is based upon weight to teaspoons

My question is why does the package of cure state to make a brine or marinade use half a cup of cure to 1 gallon of water. It does not relate to the weight of the meat when making a marinade or a brain

That is 4 ounces of cure or 24 teaspoons to a gallon of water

SCVDadCooks Where does it say that? Not on sure cure. I am thinking maybe it says that on one of the ham or bacon cures? That would be because there are other ingredients aside from pink salts in them.

• SCVDadCooks Somewhere in the recipe for the brine it probably references for 10 pounds of meat make a brine using… Plus the recipe is also allowing for the weight of a gallon of water.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (2 members and 12 guests).
daktiner, calldoctoday, YooperDog, Mark Moss

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jayhawk8146.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.