Swedish Christmas Sausage: Potatis Korv

• Team Blue

CCD1E42F-ADC4-4E62-8591-722854DFC7F9.jpeg

We get some pretty random requests for sausage at the shop and the boss just can’t say no…I think he does it just to mess with me sometimes. lol. Oddly this one was requested twice in the last week.

The latest request was for a Swedish Christmas Sausage called Potatis Korv, or simply ‘Korv’. Apparently the boss wasn’t aware that this is a holiday thing! I browsed several recipes online and all of them seemed pretty similar. Equal Parts Pork, Beef to Potato/Onion with Allspice and Black Pepper.

5.5 lbs. Pork trim
    5.5 lbs. Beef trim

I did not get an exact measurement on the potatoes and onion but it was 7 good sized Yukon Gold Potatoes (raw) and two medium Sweet Onions (raw) equaling a total of 5.5 lbs. for a combined total of 16.5 lbs. ingredients. Feel free to play with ratios.

150 grams Kosher Salt
    4 t. Black Pepper
    4 t. ground Allspice

I ran all of the meat and veggies through the #32 grinder using the coarse plate and laid out on a sheet pan evenly. I sprinkled about half of the salt and spice mixture over the top, tossed lightly then sprinkled the remaining spices. I then set the pan and grinder head in the freezer to chill for about 30 minutes.

Next step was a final grind through the coarse plate, a quick hand mix to ensure uniformity before covering and resting overnight in the fridge. I made a test patty for the crew and it turned out great. Cooking over low heat produced a great crust from the potatoes. I’d describe this as a breakfast in a sausage. The potatoes and onion reminded me hash browns and gave a soft yet defined texture. The Allspice and Pepper gave it a mild and savory finish. I’me sure I’ll be making this one again!

6D0F312F-6AF1-49EF-9FDC-307AB2694121.jpeg

We use the Tubed 35-38mm casings at the shop for everything which makes for a nice, plump sausage. Many recipes called for links at about 4" in length so that’s what I went with. These eat like a meal so the smaller size seems to work well. If you try these for yourself let me know how it goes and post pics!

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

Joe Hell You’re an artisan sir! I really hope your boss is taking care of you! Are you Walla Walla famous yet?

• Team Blue

Jonathon I wouldn’t say that I’m famous but there is definitely a buzz around town about sausages!

• I had beef trim and did not know what to use it for till I saw your post about korv, here is my first time try at stuffing with a grinder.1583536718038-491905729.jpg l

• list item***
  • Team Blue

tomcat1963 Nice!!!

• Joe Hell going to smoke some tomorrow and see how that turns out, wish me luck

• Made this yesterday and let it sit overnight in the cooler, and smoked this morning, way better than bratwurst0307201038.jpg

• Team Blue

tomcat1963 Good job!

• Power User

Joe Hell those sound good I will have to try them

• These were really good, especially with homemade sauerkraut

• Power User

Joe Hell those sound awesome, unfortunately im not allowed potatoes on the KETO diet 😡

• Team Blue

twilliams I feel you man!

twilliams How is Keto going? Good results? It is worth it but MAN is it hard, for a while at least. Eventually, it will get easier, we promise. The nice thing about it is that when you decide to go back to eating normal most, if not all the weight can stay off, as long as you don’t go back to bad habits!

• Power User

Jonathon its going well, i have not cheated since i started. Was at 202 and down to 184 in 4 weeks. It does fluctuate a few pounds from day to day. I think i have plateaued currently. Thinking about buying a bicycle and do 10-15 country miles a day. KETO has me very concerned, I keep hearing of bad health symptoms from people. Hair loss, high blood sugar, high cholesterol, and a friend of mine from California ended up being septic which can be very deadly from kidney issues that has confirmed from her doctor as a result of KETO. I am in no way doing strict KETO, as in i am in no way fasting for 24, 48 and 72 hours. Thats just insane to starve yourself. I am basically what they call lazy KETO.

twilliams Ahh I thought you were keto for some reason! Well, either way man that’s awesome progress! 18 lb in a month is a lot. I’d always recommend adding exercise to any diet as it is fun and helps burn calories! I work 2 miles from where I live so for about a year (even in the freezing cold and 100°+ days) I rode my bike to work. The engine to my wife’s car blew and we had just bought a house and didn’t want to have another payment. Anyway, long story short (too late) that was probably the best shape I’ve been in since college and that was 4 miles a day!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

14 users active right now (2 members and 12 guests).
daktiner, calldoctoday, YooperDog, Mark Moss

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.4k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jayhawk8146.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.