Fat between the casing and meat

• When I use fatty meats (75/25 or 70/30) I am getting fat puddles between the casing and the meat. Taste is fine but aesthetically is doesn’t look very good. Is this normal? Or can I change something? Is it just cheap meat? Thanks

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

benjam88 One of my favorite subjects! What you are experiencing is called “fat out” and it happens when your fat renders out of the meat during the cooking process. A couple of different things can be the root cause but the most common culprit is lack of protein extraction (im gonna start a band called protein extraction,with Parksider, Joe Hell Tex_77 and PapaSop who are all probably sick as heck of hearing me talk about it). Now haivng enough protein extractions means the fat, protein, water, additives and seasoning are not bound together tightly enough. Look at the third picture down in this https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/763/cured-sausage-106-basics-of-making-snack-sticks and it should look like that or go to the 2:00 minute mark in that video and you will see how stretchy/sticky the meat should be.

it also could be your smoke schedule, I’d recommend mimicking what is in that article above. Also, use of a binder can certainly help.

A meat mixer really is your best friend when making cured sausage as it makes protein extraction far simpler!

• Team Blue

Jonathon I’ve got quite few guitars and such if you want to start a band. The first single off the album by Johnny T & the Meat Sweats should be “I got a gal and we Sure Gel”

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

Jonathon
    Sick of hearing about it? No way! The greatest thing about being part of this community is the fact that no matter how many times it’s asked, you and Austin have always taken the time to reply. Something to be said for that.

So much knowledge here. Thought I knew something about sausage making at one time. Turns out I was a just a rookie. Still learning every day.

benjam88
    You’ve come to the right place…Just saying

• Thanks guys!! I have a meat mixer, it is evident that I am not putting enough cranking time on her. I will definitely be doing that. Gonna try the bourbon peppercorn this weekend! I made a 10lb bologna with ghost pepper cheese last weekend and it might be the best thing I have ever made in my life!!! If you like heat, give it a shot!

• Jonathon I play electric bass if you need someone!!!

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

21 users active right now (0 members and 21 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 22.5k posts in 2.4k topics.
We currently have 10.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jameslee2.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.