smoking halibut ??

• Need a few pointers on smoking halibut. such as temp, how much smoke, internal temp when to pull and brine.

Thanks for the help

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

your brining comes first then rinse and let sit till a pellicle /light glaze forms which will help retain moister as for smoking it depends on weather you are cold smoking to just add flavor and freeze to be cooked later or hot smoking to eat after finishing

• Team Blue

I’ve done it several times but it was a long time ago. I put the fish in a basic smoked sugar cure (Mortons) and brown sugar brine overnight. Rinsed and let dry for several hours in the fridge. Smoked for about 7-8 hours depending on meat thickness. Good tasting but too dry for my tastes and my wife thinks it’s a waste of good halibut. I also smoked some Albacore tuna last year but was also dry.

• Halibut was real good. Brine = 1/2 gallon water, 16oz lemon lime sprite, 2 squeezed lemons with pulp and 1 lime squeezed with pulp, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup salt, rosemary, sage, and garlic powder. In fridge over night then rinsed and patted dry then sprinkled with A Cajun’s Life mesquite BBQ rub. In smoker for 30 mins with smoke at 150 and 2 hrs at 250 and done. 4" long x 2 inch wide x 1.5 thick. Tasty and moist. Cooked to rare to med rare.

• Randyman I also have trouble with smoking white fish such as halibut and cod. I am thinking that the brine time needs to be reduced. I tried my normal smoked salmon recipe brine, but the overnight and even just 4 ours produce rubber planks. I was told to try a 1 hour brine, but that was obviously not enough time. That result was like putting cornmeal in your mouth. I am currently out of of cod, and do not want to ruin my halibut. I am going fishing in Alaska again next year, so I will hopefully get some that I can test with. I had similar problems with the overnight brine with my salmon. I finally found that I have some fantastic smoked salmon with a four hour brine, and hot smoking the salmon to 140 degrees. I use a dry brine with Kosher or pickling salt, dark brown sugar, and crushed garlic. I use 1 cup of pickling salt, 2 pounds of dark brown sugar, and 15 cloves of crushed garlic. This is a dry brine, but it will be pretty wet at the end of the 4 hours. I rinse it and pat it dry, and then dry it on baking racks with a low to medium fan on them. I have been using a mix of alder and apple smoke. I smoke for an hour at 140 and then bump it to 160 after an hour, and take the fish out when it gets to 140 degrees. I let it cool to room temperature and then vacuum pack it and freeze it. When I pull it out and thaw it, I have a moist, tender piece of tasty smoked salmon.

• Randyman, you need to brine the halibut in a water based brine mixed with an acidic juice of your choosing. I use sprite and add real lemons to it for the acid. White fish needs to absorb water before smoking to give it moisture. The acid will help hold the moisture in while smoking. Smoke to a medium rare temp and it will turn out. Pineapples work well also and oranges are ok. depends on what flavor you like. Brine it for at least 8 hours so fish will absorb water. Water absorbtion is the trick for white fish. Good luck

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size