Cured and smoked turkey.

• Does anyone have a recipe or procedure for brine curing and smoking a whole turkey?

• @2cyltom
    Auston
    I see a complete turkey cure listed in your seasoning section. Do you have any recommendations on how to use it to cure a 12-15lbs. turkey. And what would be a good temp and length of time to have on the smoker?
    This would also make a good video!

• Admin

@2cyltom Sorry about the delayed response on this question. We just got our recipe and instructions posted for smoked & cured turkey. We will also get this put onto our agenda to make a video demonstration for!

https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/227/how-to-make-homemade-cured-smoked-turkey-recipe

Let us know if this helps or if you have any other questions we can answer!

• Austin thanks for the response!
    That is the information I was looking for and the instructions are very thorough on the procedure!
    Judging from the number of views, you may have helped several people out.

• @2cyltom
    I’ll throw this out there, i’ve always used a turkey brine recipe from Food Network for Thanksgiving Day turkey. I will say i’ve done 2 wild turkeys and i have a friend who had a well respected shop do 2 for him and ALL of them turned out very dry. If you’re doing wild turkey I’d recommend injecting butter and spice until it literally is dripping as they are so lean it’s incredible. Now if you like to make soup/stews throwing a smoked turkey drumstick in for some flavor is amazing. I did end up chunking up the breast and making a smoked turkey noodle soup, used the bones to make the broth.
    I have also heard, but then again I’ve “heard” all sorts of experts… who doesn’t have a friend or neighbor that is an expect at everything, just ask them, they’ll tell you… running the smoker at 300-325F is the way to go but I’ve never tried it. And i’m an expert at smoking stuff…just ask me!! :) I’ll be curious how it turns out and let us know if it’s a wild turkey.

• @Parksider
    Thanks for the tips. I am planning on smoking a frozen whole turkey or the bone in breast.
    I smoke a lot of pork, beef, and homemade sausage. So I thought I would branch out and try something different for a change!

• Admin

Using any type of injection for turkey (or any meat) will help add moisture and flavor, even if you don’t cure the turkey, but what also really helps in keeping a moister final product is adding salt and phosphates. The recipe I linked to above does call for adding phosphate as there is none in the base cure. If you inject another seasoning, butter, spices, etc. it would also help retain more moisture by adding phosphate to any injection solution. Some seasonings and marinades, like our favorite injection seasoning Butter Flavored Seasoning, will already contain phosphates, so do double check the ingredients statement to verify if phosphates are already added. But long story short, if you are really looking to retain the most moisture as possible in your final cooked product, do add something like Cold Phosphate to your marinade/injections, if it doesn’t already contain phosphates.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.