Potato Sausage question

• Hello, all. I’m new to sausage making and have a question. My first batch of brats turned out great but today’s batch of potato sausage had “blowouts”. Now I’m reading that I could have just frozen them raw but my recipe said to simmer for 15 minutes. First I thought it was because my second batch of simmering I used the water from the first batch. Thought it had something to do with not starting with cold water. Third simmer had two blowouts while I used fresh water. Any suggestions?

• What type of casings?

• Hog Casings, 32/35 mm

• Yeah, surprised it happened with natural casings
    The usual causes are too tight on the stuffing, especially if something in your mix expanded when heated (although potatoes seem to be heat stable)
    Air pockets could be a cause
    Simmer is about 170 F, I’ve had boudin blowouts because I let the heat get too high but that was with collagen
    Forgive me if these seem too basic but you say you are new to sausage making and we all start somewhere

• Thanks! Yep, just starting, and learning a lot. It was delicious, if messy. Next is breakfast sausage with collagen…

• BettyWNC I poke lots of small holes in two sides and put them in the microwave on medium low for 15 minutes then pour off any liquid and turn them over and give them 10 minutes more on medium low. If you like them browned finish them in a fry pan with a little bacon grease. Also when I grind the potatoes I mix in the spices and onions that have been run through a food processor and add potato flour to stiffen up the mixture. This prevents the potatoes from going brown. Since I use ground moose and pork and freeze most of the sausages I use a pointed knife to poke the frozen sausages on both sides and nuke them on medium low until they are cooked. )

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg

BettyWNC I think that it might be overstuffing the casing. Mine are not stuffed quite as firm as best. I am not sure about freezing them raw, because I think that the potatoes will turn gray. I summer mine, let them cool before packaging.

• Brianzipperdog123 Potato flour! That’s brilliant!

• BettyWNC potatoes and onions have a lot of water which makes steam when the sausages are cooked. Naturally something has to give or bursts will occur. You have a choice cook them low and slow so the steam can ooze through the casings or poke many small holes so pressure can’t build and burst the casings. A homemade pin pricker tool is worth spending a little of this isolation time making. I know you can do it.

• OMG, major dope slap here. Of course! This is why you should learn from someone, not a video. I put a few pokes in because that’s what the guy in the video did, but I didn’t know why that step was so important. Thanks!

• Probably why poaching from 150 to 180 deg F. is recommended

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

22 users active right now (1 members and 21 guests).
YooperDog, dei3jr

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.4k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, texasmeateater.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.