using frozen hamburger for snack sticks

• I have lots of frozen hamburger and frozen ground pork. I am wondering if it is ok to use frozen meat and thaw it to make snack sticks in the smoker

• Admin

@mammaj
    Absolutely! It is totally fine to use frozen meats for making snack sticks or other meat snacks.

Some things to keep in mind though would be related to how long it has been in the freezer and how it was packaged in the freezer, which will not affect your ability to make meat snacks or the safety of eating those products, but it could affect the quality. If the meat has started to oxidize or get freezer burned, your final product may not be as perfect as if you used fresh meat. The quality is much lower, but can still be safe to consume at that point. Vacuum packaging will maintain the best quality of meat, while using meat bags and then butcher/freezer paper not quite as long. Somewhere around 6 months, packaged in freezer paper, is around the longest time I’d suggest to store meat in the freezer before using it to maintain a high quality product. And probably around 12 months of shelf life or more for vacuum packaged meats in the freezer. Again, this is mostly just a quality issue though due to oxidation and freezer burn and it can still be safe past that point, and just the quality is degraded with any longer storage of frozen meats.

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.