Soy Protein use and Water?

• I made my first Summer Sausage using Soy Protein as a binder, but was using recipe information from a couple sausage making books, that did not use Soy Protein. I am pretty sure I was lacking in water content, as my farce was not very “loose” and I got some pitting or big air pockets, likely from not packing tight enough (because the farce was to dry)?
    If using soy protein, should I be adding more liquid, and at what rate above a recipe not using a binder?

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee

BruceDir We recommend you use about 1 qt of water per 25 lb batch if you aren’t adding a binder and UP to 2 qt if you are. The binders (especially carrot fiber) help more water stay in the product. So, yes, you can add more water with a binder.

The voids are probably more about not stuffing tight than anything else, unless you didn’t add any water. With a hand crank stuffer, some voids are almost unaVOIDable (haha) but they are usually tiny little voids that don’t matter too much. More water will help mitigate this as the meat will be more liquid but holding that casing on tightly is the most important thing.

• Thank you Jonathon, will try that this weekend! Cheers

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at [email protected] with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

21 users active right now (0 members and 21 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 17.4k posts in 2.1k topics.
We currently have 9.4k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, djsisson.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.