• italicised text
    My question is when you say a 80 / 20 blend meat to fat ratio are you just guessing what 80 / 20 looks like or are you trimming all fat and weighing and weighing the meat to do the math to weigh out 80 / 20 percent. I have always just looking at it to roughly guess 80 /20

• Sous Vide Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

Denny The answer is Yes. Thanks for smiling. The 80/20 blend magic is both that comes with experience, knowing your meat products and your source. For example: A whole non-trimmed pork butt or ribeye beef roast is usually close to 80/20. While a pork tenderloin or loins, beef tenderloins or eye of rounds need added fat content. In the beginning, review a number of “recipes” and adjust the fat content accordingly. You’ll get a feel for it after awhile.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

Frankly, I just stick with certain cuts (beef chuck, pork butt, chicken thighs with skin, etc) and sort of eyeball it when choosing those cuts. I don’t trim and weigh those. I’m just making sausage or burgers to please myself and those around me, so close enough is good enough.

I know I need to trim a brisket to get to 80/20, and I save those trimmings in case I’m dealing with a lean cut. I might weigh for that.

• I have been grinding meat for 52 years. I just seeing on here about the perfect 80 / 20 blend. I have just always guessed at it. with no complaints. Just was curious how every one does it.

• Sous Vide Team Blue Power User Regular Contributors

Denny I bet that between your eyes and the people who eat your product you’re stuff is pretty much “spot on”. Keep on making people happy.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.