Has any one ever ground shoulder Clod ?

• My Shoulder Clod order came yesterday. A friend of mine we split the order they come 3 Shoulder Clod to a Case. 74 lbs. total I weighed the specifics on the last clod ground. I trimmed 4 lbs. 12 oz. of gristle and slimy fat off. It tend to have a lot of gristle layered through out the clod. The first 2 clods ground was at 80-20. the last one ground was at about 90-10. I did a double grind. It looks very similar to Brisket. Flavor is very exceptional. Price was $4.99 very similar to Brisket in price. But I can usually get Brisket on sale $1.99-2.99 . I think I like the Brisket for prep to grind a little better as the fat trim is similar. but the Brisket has a very nice vein of hard fat running through it.

• The last clod ground yielded 19 lbs. 7 ounces yielded 50 1/3 lb. burgers

• Team Orange Walton's Employee Admin

Denny My understanding on a shoulder clod is that it can be tough, with a bit of connective tissue unless it is separated into individual muscles. If you grind it, I’d cook like any other ground meat. If you do a whole muscle, treat it like brisket and do a low, slow, long cook and break down all that collagen and connective tissue by reaching temps of 190+ through a slow cook. If ground, I would treat it like regular “hamburger” meat, unless someone else has some added experience to share.

• Regular Contributors

Ive ground shoulder clod quite a bit, makes for pretty lean burger. Generally i toss in a shoulder roll for a little more fat, but i would also take a few of the top steaks off of each to sell for a more premium price.

• Green Mountain Grill Traeger

Makes nice lean burger with good flavor. We regularly grind them for retail burger where I work.

• Denny I’ve never ground it, makes sense that certain portions would lend to that task. What I have done is smoke it like a brisket for 26 hours - and it made the best pulled/chopped meat you could image! Jiggled, wiggled, and wobbled onto the prep board.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.